Woods Open Air Coop Design - Amish Built

Pics
Nice looking brooder, I like the side opening doors. I had to change my brooder from top door to side door so the chicks were not afraid of me.

JT
Thank you! That's a great point I didn't even think of and it makes complete sense. 3 of the chicks are 3-4 weeks old so I have them separated in there from the 2 that are only 1-2 weeks until they get a little bigger. The part the littlest ones are in I can access from the sides and they have been really sweet and not scared of me, the side the bigger ones are in I have to access from the top and they are scared to Death of me! I'm hoping I can merge them soon so I don't have to keep scaring them.

One of our BYC members messaged me to find out how to get a coop the one the Amish are building and said they had received a quote from their local Amish that was extremely expensive. In speaking with the guy that is working as a liaison with the Amish gentleman building my coop he told me these Amish are "old order." They do not use electricity which includes power tools, phones, etc. Everything is done by hand. They are a true community and believe in only charging minimal labor for their work partly because they have very little overhead. No bills, insurance, etc. Their building methods also make the best use of their materials and often they use less material than an average builder might. Something to think about if you try to reach out to the Amish in your area. I feel so fortunate that they are building mine, they already have 3 orders for more Woods coops however the gentleman that built mine is moving to Michigan next month so not sure if he will leave his legacy behind or take it with him!

One of our BYC members messaged me to find out how to get a coop the one the Amish are building and said they had received a quote from their local Amish that was extremely expensive. In speaking with the guy that is working as a liaison with the Amish gentleman building my coop he told me these Amish are "old order." They do not use electricity which includes power tools, phones, etc. Everything is done by hand. They are a true community and believe in only charging minimal labor for their work partly because they have very little overhead. No bills, insurance, etc. Their building methods also make the best use of their materials and often they use less material than an average builder might. Something to think about if you try to reach out to the Amish in your area. I feel so fortunate that they are building mine, they already have 3 orders for more Woods coops however the gentleman that built mine is moving to Michigan next month so not sure if he will leave his legacy behind or take it with him!
We have both amish and mennonite in our area. We have used one amish crew that used power tools off there property. In fact there driver store the trailer at a local convenient store. The framed and dried in our house and addition. There fast and very reasonable. But then there are other that own long mills arround us that we do not buy anything from. There prices are threw the roof. As far as the amish crew that built our house, there supervisor was absent last time they were out he was in PA for a meeting with some elders. These boys sweat all day on a roof then go home to a no electric no a/c. Btw there traditional framing is second to none in our area. Not to mention the had ideas that saved us thousands on the addition.

gentleman that built mine is moving to Michigan next month
Do you know where in MI?
Curious as we have a huge influx over the past year,
not sure if it's a new congregation or what.

Your chick situation....I had some older chicks 2-4 wo, and separated brooder to add 2 just hatched chicks. Both the tiny ones and one older chicks really wanted to go on the other side. So I put the big chick in the tiny's side, it just wanted their waterer and didn't bother the tiny's at all. So I put the tiny's in the bigs side and they just wanted to be with the 'flock', none of the biggers bothered them at all so I let them stay there and removed the barrier. Might want to try some chick juggling see if there's any trouble.

Do you know where in MI?
Curious as we have a huge influx over the past year,
not sure if it's a new congregation or what.

Your chick situation....I had some older chicks 2-4 wo, and separated brooder to add 2 just hatched chicks. Both the tiny ones and one older chicks really wanted to go on the other side. So I put the big chick in the tiny's side, it just wanted their waterer and didn't bother the tiny's at all. So I put the tiny's in the bigs side and they just wanted to be with the 'flock', none of the biggers bothered them at all so I let them stay there and removed the barrier. Might want to try some chick juggling see if there's any trouble.

I will absolutely find out for you! I believe he sad his son is already out in Michigan and he is going out there to be with him. I've noticed that too!! The babies keep trying to get to the other side and vice versa I think I might try that today, thanks for the support :)

Thank you! That's a great point I didn't even think of and it makes complete sense. 3 of the chicks are 3-4 weeks old so I have them separated in there from the 2 that are only 1-2 weeks until they get a little bigger. The part the littlest ones are in I can access from the sides and they have been really sweet and not scared of me, the side the bigger ones are in I have to access from the top and they are scared to Death of me! I'm hoping I can merge them soon so I don't have to keep scaring them.

Yea, my first group were scared of me and I figured out that I needed to be on their level to not scare them the second group thought I was a big chicken.

JT

They are putting on the finishing touches, delivery is set for tomorrow morning and I might not sleep ❤️

5D78201D-EC09-4BC5-9EDE-17A1F215E802.jpeg
102FA322-F65F-4CB5-801D-0EA652A36E39.jpeg
821B6689-06B6-473D-A7F9-99D2ACEFE0B3.jpeg
9794F3FB-6B37-443A-8FBD-ED3E0E5F07BA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom