Woods Open Air Coop Design - Amish Built

Nah. Skip the poop board and put up a ton of roosts.
I tossed mine after three months. I dumped bags of Sweet PDZ all over the floor with some DE. They LOVE dust bathing in it.

Then you go in once a week with a stall rake and collect the poop, which is dried out and not smelly thanks to PDZ and toss it in the compost.

I add one more bag when the coop, especially under the roosts gets too thin to do it's job. so one bag every 6-9 month.

Initial investment is a little high, but it is SO worth it. It doesn't stay wet, it's natural, it doesn't stink, flies don't lay eggs in it. It dries out poo and neutralizes the ammonia.

I've never looked back. Mine takes care of 25 birds.

I tossed mine after three months. I dumped bags of Sweet PDZ all over the floor with some DE. They LOVE dust bathing in it.

Then you go in once a week with a stall rake and collect the poop, which is dried out and not smelly thanks to PDZ and toss it in the compost.

I add one more bag when the coop, especially under the roosts gets too thin to do it's job. so one bag every 6-9 month.

Initial investment is a little high, but it is SO worth it. It doesn't stay wet, it's natural, it doesn't stink, flies don't lay eggs in it. It dries out poo and neutralizes the ammonia.

I use sweet pdz too!!! I put shavings on top of it and do an entire clean and dump one every 1-2 weeks. So you don’t use shavings at all?! And they love it?? I guess that would remove the need for me to make a dust bathing area too. Is there any reason to still use shavings? I am really excited thinking about not using them...even though I just bought 8 bales

Shavong only 9n the run. The coop is 100% pdz. I use cut up cheap yoga mats for in the nest boses.
I'm absolutely going to take your advice on this....I may try to make a raised shelf just under the roosts and fill that with PDZ so I can rake it. I do love the stuff but it's so cold and my hens haven't seemed to love cuddling up in it - when I bring in a bale of koop clean (straw) my hens go BANANAS. Thank you always for your inspiration <3

Hi Jenny! I’m looking to build your coop and just met with my carpenter. I’m wondering if you could share how much the Amish charged you so I can see if I should keep getting more bids.
Thank you!!

Hi Jenny! I’m looking to build your coop and just met with my carpenter. I’m wondering if you could share how much the Amish charged you so I can see if I should keep getting more bids.
Thank you!!
I don't know that comparing anyone's quote to the Amish will be fair since they mill their own lumber and don't have any overhead like standard contractor's do. I'll message you with the quotes we received :)

Back
Top Bottom