Woods Open Air Coop Design - Amish Built

Pics
One of our BYC members messaged me to find out how to get a coop the one the Amish are building and said they had received a quote from their local Amish that was extremely expensive. In speaking with the guy that is working as a liaison with the Amish gentleman building my coop he told me these Amish are "old order." They do not use electricity which includes power tools, phones, etc. Everything is done by hand. They are a true community and believe in only charging minimal labor for their work partly because they have very little overhead. No bills, insurance, etc. Their building methods also make the best use of their materials and often they use less material than an average builder might. Something to think about if you try to reach out to the Amish in your area. I feel so fortunate that they are building mine, they already have 3 orders for more Woods coops however the gentleman that built mine is moving to Michigan next month so not sure if he will leave his legacy behind or take it with him!
Thank you so much for this thread, it has been so informative! I am in Michigan and interested to see if the gentleman that built yours is still building them. Would you mind sharing contact information? I have started conversations about the design of the Woods coop to a local coop builder but since he is new to this design I am going through a lot of the conversation that you had initially!

FYI, I built mine myself 8 years ago, it cost $3,000.
Upgrades, additions have been made since, but that was just the main coop build.

So while the Amish built one, might have been pricey, materials, labour and expertise costs too. And materials are higher now. (Most of my hardware and shingles, screws and nails were from the Habitat store)

FYI, I built mine myself 8 years ago, it cost $3,000.
Upgrades, additions have been made since, but that was just the main coop build.

So while the Amish built one, might have been pricey, materials, labour and expertise costs too. And materials are higher now. (Most of my hardware and shingles, screws and nails were from the Habitat store)
I have read (and studied) your post of your build. How incredible!! Your hardwork, determination and humor are just fantastic. I am deciding on building vs hiring someone to build since this would be my first build of this size. A bit nervous to take on the project!

Back
Top Bottom