Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
Well, with the key word "winter", that is a common search term here at BYC, the thread comes and goes when it is needed. The words "ventilation" and "coop" are throughout the thread so helps it pop up in searches too.

Done wrong. But non the less a Woods based 10x16 Open air coop in progress using what I have on hand. Substituted some wood sizes and my helpers put in more rafters but that won't hurt it any.

Dumb me skipped the construction hints early in the book as I thought they were for the other unit just described. So I missed some basic directions of six section constructions and bolting together.

I did read it all the way through but some things don't stick and I forget. I just looked at the photo & diagrams and then at what I had available here..... and here is the progress so far

THis looks good!! THe 2 x 4 of today are not rough cut, they are planed smooth and consequently decrease in size and structure strength. Usually 16 on center works with todays material. Better tohave a strong roof if you are in a wind prone area or heavy snow loads. Money well spent on a solid roof supports.

Oh that red thing in the back is the TSC cheap little coop (not price wise) and was a quick fix as I had two days before the lady giving me the hens was moving to get some accommodations for them and it was early Feb. They still roost inside... will use it as a brooder later but put it inside so they got used to the Open air coop while I built it!!

Evidently they like it as they tricked me into thinking they had stopped laying when I got the rooster.... they hid the eggs UNDERNEATH the nestbox overhang of the little coop in the litter of the woods coop! There were seven under there when I figured it out.

Oh that red thing in the back is the TSC cheap little coop (not price wise) and was a quick fix as I had two days before the lady giving me the hens was moving to get some accommodations for them and it was early Feb. They still roost inside... will use it as a brooder later but put it inside so they got used to the Open air coop while I built it!!

Evidently they like it as they tricked me into thinking they had stopped laying when I got the rooster.... they hid the eggs UNDERNEATH the nestbox overhang of the little coop in the litter of the woods coop! There were seven under there when I figured it out.
ep.gif
THose girls are tricky at hiding eggs!!

Told Jack I would post other photos of my progress. So they follow... And IF I can do this (no construction skill experience either and with physical disabilities) I think anyone can. Only help I got was the rafters and roofing. The rest this amateur did alone with so far less cost than shipping for that little red coop thing you see inside:

Here are a few more. As you can see mine is not the quality it should be in construction. Some is tacked in place until I can get it it where it should be. And using up scrap pieces which will need more work to make it solid and draft free where there it is supposed to be tight. Just hoping I get the outside walls/windows and the pop door cut open before snow flies.

Looking good!! You have a real door up-- Mine would n't fit, so opted for a plywood door reinforced along the edges, and put on hinges. IT works, but its not as pretty as yours.

Well, sorta made the wall fit to the door! Took out the side studs to back wall to move the stud and make it wide enough for the door as it would not fit at first either. ;) Using what I have but following the style from the book diagram.

The screen is tacked onto the front right now as I did not have the energy to pull it tight. Will have to redo that eventually. It won't affect the air flow but it isn't as secure this way.

The weather will be getting real cold here soon so I need to get the sides and monitor completed. Also the pop door that I framed the location on the outside but isn't cut out all the way or secured yet. I do not own a sawsall so my little tree saw is having to do the job using the outside framing as a straight edge guide. The little screen is leaning against the spot it is going.

Thank you for your support on the building process. I would not be doing all this if I didn't believe it would be the best style coop to keep them healthy and safe. They already love it but do still go into the little coop to roost at night.

Back
Top Bottom