Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
OK, I understand now about the square part. My advice would be to not do what you seem to be suggesting, which is to split it apart seasonally. The Woods coop can be thought of as two building sections attached together at the open sides, but once attached, both sections become ONE integral design. One roost area, one set of nest boxes, etc.

If you want or need multiple houses (they used to refer to these as "colony houses"), then it would be better to build more than one of them vs. splitting one building into two.

If building multiple Woods houses gets to be cost prohibitive, then there are other designs for 8' x 8' and smaller that are more economical to build and can be put on skids and moved around as mine is.

Hi All!

I'm looking to build several of the Woods type houses for my breeding flock. Trying to figure out the best size. Thinking 8 x 8 with a front open annex that I can move separately, maybe 6 X 8. Wondering if that would allow the proper air flow? I figured an 8 foot square is easier to build with lumber sizing etc. I want to put them on skids.

Can anyone point me to where I could get help in the basic design and putting together a materials list?

Any insight is appreciated. I know from reading that the 10 X 16 is the optimal size for my location (New Hampshire US)

Thanks very much!

Leela
Follow the sizing of the original instructions. Smaller does not make as good a coop IMO. I have built two. We start with construction of one half, and then add on when we have the supplies. I have a number of smaller coops and have actually been thinking about tearing them down.

I also used clearish corrogated roofing for 1-2 sections to increase the amount of light inside. Such material was not available when the Woods was designed. We buy the clear plastic stuff and it usually ships sandwiched between two scraps of metal roofing.
wink.png

Tim in Ohio,
Hi Leela, I looked at options in this website for Backyard Chickens to build ours. I found the size I wanted and design by pictures others posted, most often they will provide the coop details you will need. I am not handy, two guys from my church helped out last summer. I have three windows, all wired from the inside to protect the hens, my windows face east, north and west. I have some plastic to keep most of the cold out, I left a small gap for air flow in the winter. So far so good for us. I have 10 hens, they have plenty of space in the coop we built and at times when really cold and snowy, they prefer not to go outside. So I just keep them shut up on those days, recently been sunny and temps in 40's. So I open the door for them to go out and they love the sunny days. Best wishes

For those with the Woods design, and DLM, how big would you say for coop for 15 birds. I will have a very large run when not home. But i also have a 35-40 by maybe 70 foot area we plan to fence and have them range. Just trying to decide on building size. Seems like by going 4 sq foot a bird it ends up huge

For those with the Woods design, and DLM, how big would you say for coop for 15 birds. I will have a very large run when not home. But i also have a 35-40 by maybe 70 foot area we plan to fence and have them range. Just trying to decide on building size. Seems like by going 4 sq foot a bird it ends up huge

A 6' x 10' was intended for up to a dozen birds.

My 8' x 12' should handle up to 24 birds. I keep 9 now, with no problem.

Depending on materials used, an 8' x 12' can be built from nearly the same materials as a 6' x 10', putting the materials in the coop vs. leaving them laying on the ground as scrap.

-------
This is a question I have to. in an ordinary Coop ,yes ,you do need four square feet per bird inside. but the woods open air coop incorporates the coop and the run in one building. so it seems to me you would need less than 4 square feet per bird in the coop part of the building. see what I mean?
Because the coop has one open side facing into the Run since it's all one structure ...the birds don't get that "cooped up" feeling they get when they're surrounded by four walls and can't get into the run in foul weather because the door is shut.
Karen

Last edited:
Because the coop is actually only a three sided opening into the run which is part of the whole building it seems to me that the dimensions we are normally used for Coop and run do not apply .
Dr. Woods does mention in his book how many birds will fit in dimensions of certain houses. perhaps we can extrapolate from that how many birds we can fit in smaller houses .
I admit to being surprised at how many birds Dr. Woods says will fit in the 10 by 16 house. but I am sure if he thinks this is a healthy amount... why would he go to all the trouble to build the special house and then overpopulate
It? that doesn't make any sense. Especially since he was such a Savvy poultryman.
Karen

Last edited:
Because the coop is actually only a three sided opening into the run which is part of the whole building it seems to me that the dimensions we are normally used for Coop and run do not apply .
Dr. Woods does mention in his book how many birds will fit in dimensions of certain houses. perhaps we can extrapolate from that how many birds we can fit in smaller houses .
I admit to being surprised at how many birds Dr. Woods says will fit in the 10 by 16 house. but I am sure if he thinks this is a healthy amount... why would he go to all the trouble to build the special house and then overpopulate
It? that doesn't make any sense. Especially since he was such a Savvy poultryman.
Karen

If memory serves, he said 40 fowls........back then they were fowls. So 10 x 16 = 160 sf / 4 sf/bird = 40 birds........errrrr.......fowls.

All of the poultry husbandry books from that era pretty much used 4 sf per bird. If bantams or leghorns, maybe 3 sf per bird.

I agree........a Woods coop is pretty much a covered run, enclosed on three sides. The 4th side open to the south to let in sunlight from the winter sun. With 4 opening windows (two on the side and two monitor windows up top), plus the open front, it is remarkably flexible as to the amount of ventilation you can have. A little or a lot. An abundance of fresh air, an abundance of light, no smell......and healthy, happy birds.........errrrr.....fowls.

Back
Top Bottom