WooHoo!Look what I got off Craigslist for $30!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dianaross77, Jan 12, 2011.

1. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I'm gonna make a nice little coop for chickees in the spring!

[​IMG]

The little girl with the dirty face was extra!

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I had the exact playhouse for my chickens for a year! they loved it.

Enjoy!

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Too COOL! Gotta love repurposing!

4. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    that's cool! How do you put in the roost and nesting box? How many chickens can live in that?

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I have wanted a playhouse coop for months! They need very little upgrading to make them functional. Very good deal!

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I had 5 comfortably sleeping on the stove and I added a roost for up to 12 chickens sleeping in there! the walls can be drilled but you will need toggle bolts.

It got pretty messy with more then 8 in it, and the nesting boxes fit nicely under the stove.

7. irishfirefighter

irishfirefighter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    i have a true backyard flock and i used my girls old playschool play house and turned it into a coop i ended up taking the stove out and building the nest box thereit holds 8 standard chickens and 3 bantams [​IMG]

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I liked this one because it had shutters on all the windows but one. I was thinking i might build a nest box to fit in the one that doesn't. That would cover the opening and keep more space open. I'm working on a picket fence run idea. That'll take some creativity. But in the end, I'd like it to look just like a playhouse with a picket fence, so I'm trying to figure out how I want to make a predator proof lid for the run. Hmmmmmm. [​IMG] It's a good thing I have until spring! I also liked the idea of drilling holes in the tops of the walls and spraying in expanding foam for insulation.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Whine!!!! I have been looking for one forever! Yeah for you!

Ok...picket fence.....turn a 2X4 flat on the inside where it won't show.....drill holes large enough for pvc pipe to go into and screw it in to secure it. That is what I did on the chicken tractor....pvc comes in really long lengths. Then you attach the hardware cloth to the pvc like on a chicken tractor and you will still be able to walk into it....and no predators! I can see it....I would do it that way.

Have fun!

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Check the coop design pages. Someone did an outside nest box with theirs.

If you use the spray insulation, work from the bottom up and do it slowly to let it fully expand before adding more to another hole.

I used hardware cloth and old shutters on the inside of the windows=protection from critters and ventilation. (attached it with drywall screws) During warm weather I would open the plastic shutters. Also drilled a 2inch hole at the top on both sides for additional ventilation.

I attached a hasp to one side window and would gather eggs from that window. My girls used a milk crate.

I do suggest you put it on a raised platform. Even if raised a foot off the ground it's a whole heck of a lot easier to reach in or climb into when it's raised than with it being flat on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by