WOOHOO!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hdchic, Apr 25, 2008.

1. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    Ok, maybe I'm a bit over excited, but I am new to chickens, and maybe next year I won't be so goofy. Until then, well, you'll have to ignore my child-like behavior..lol

We had purchased eleven 3 year old hens, and eight 17 month olds. After putting a roo with each set, and finally realizing we needed to seperate the two groups, the younger ones started laying. That was exciting to me in and of itself, giving me about an egg a day for the last couple of days. (We've had them 2 weeks) But this morning...WOOHOO! I went down to open the coop, feed/water, and do my usual 'egg check' when what did I find? Not one, but TWO eggs!! [​IMG] I couldn't believe it, I was so excited, and they were still warm!! The best part is that they are from the younger ones, whom I thought had stopped laying because of the move. I had gotten about 3 from the other, older group, but they weren't real nice eggs. Almost soft, and a real light tan.

Anyway, I know its not a big deal, but I was really excited, so I thought I'd share. [​IMG]

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

3. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I know how you feel I just love getting there eggs, I just love all the shapes and sizes and colors. I started with 1 then 2 now somedays I get 21 eggs. I still just love it, excited is a good thing! Have fun with your new girls.

Erica

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    congrats on starting to get eggs.that means they are getting comfy in their new home.you should be getting more eggs with each passing day.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It IS a big deal! I still think collecting eggs is the best part of my day.

Congratulations!!

6. QueenieBee

QueenieBee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Yep, it is a big deal. I remember the excitement of collecting our first eggs. You would have thought our kids had hit the lottery the way they came running into the house. [​IMG]

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Heck, I am an old woman and my chickens make me feel "child-like" too? [​IMG]

8. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    Thanx everyone....I just collected another one, that makes 4 today! [​IMG]

9. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

We know how you feel !! We got our girls 3 weeks ago, and it got a little dark and dreary here for about a week after the day we picked them up. The egg laying was down to 2 eggs every three days or so (two 10 month old Silver Edged Wyandottes). Now it's been sunnier and they're pretty comfortable (AND we feed them better than anything walking I swear) and we're getting 2 a day - one day we got three eggs !! Yesterday one of them was real large - if our normal output looked like what you'd see called LARGE eggs in the store, this would definitely be a JUMBO. Real tasty too - my wife lets me do most of the cooking, but the woman can scramble an egg like nobody else... Check out my approving smile...

[​IMG]
    scrambled soft with fresh chives and little bits of ham, served on my homemade wheat bread toasted... DELICIOUS

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It is a big deal! Almost like potty training your child, really! I know you don't train a chicken to lay eggs like you have to train a child to use the potty, but it's still just as exciting! You can "WOOHOO!" all you want! [​IMG] I think it's wonderful and can't wait until mine are old enough to start laying. Then I will "WOOHOO!" to! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by