Wool for nesting

All mine are strays. We had one turn up just before chicken lock down end of November 2020 starving and eating the chicken food, with scabs under her chin and a scar on her eye, so I started feeding her she is very friendly and quite tame but we live in the middle of a field with no houses anywhere near so no idea where she came from. Vets said she was 8-9 month old, could still see with the scar tissue on her eye and without opening her up didn't know whether she had been neutered or not, apparently no as she came into heat last March so we let her have some kittens as we thought it would help with the rodent problem living on a farm brings. She had 3 boys, at the same time she was pregnant our landlord farmer said the black and white cat that was seen about the farm was his neutered tom, hmmmm, wrong......it was identical to his cat but a stray female and she was pregnant. Found out when I was getting some fresh straw from the stack for the nest boxes and there she was with 6 kittens she eventually abandoned them, so I have been feeding those as well. They live under the stack but are getting friendlier as time goes. But no rats and mice live in that stack now.

All mine are strays. We had one turn up just before chicken lock down end of November 2020 starving and eating the chicken food, with scabs under her chin and a scar on her eye, so I started feeding her she is very friendly and quite tame but we live in the middle of a field with no houses anywhere near so no idea where she came from. Vets said she was 8-9 month old, could still see with the scar tissue on her eye and without opening her up didn't know whether she had been neutered or not, apparently no as she came into heat last March so we let her have some kittens as we thought it would help with the rodent problem living on a farm brings. She had 3 boys, at the same time she was pregnant our landlord farmer said the black and white cat that was seen about the farm was his neutered tom, hmmmm, wrong......it was identical to his cat but a stray female and she was pregnant. Found out when I was getting some fresh straw from the stack for the nest boxes and there she was with 6 kittens she eventually abandoned them, so I have been feeding those as well. They live under the stack but are getting friendlier as time goes. But no rats and mice live in that stack now.
Similar to how I ended up with my herd... my wife and I once had fourteen dogs with a dozen of those being strays we took in. And I have had as many as 142 chickens before but only have 61 at the present time.

Back
Top Bottom