WOOOOOOOOWW DUCK eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SportTees, Jan 27, 2009.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been asking dh everyday do we have any duck eggs and everyday he says no those ducks wont lay. Well it was warm today so I went out to clean out there dog house. When I turned it over out came 14 blue green eggs!!! I have never seen the female go near that dog house. Do you think she was sitting them at night? I know the male and female have been nervous the last couple weeks. These are my first duck eggs and plus I got to give the I told ya so look!! Happy day:D[​IMG]

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    LOL, congratulations on your duck eggs! I'm still waiting for my first... though my Cayuga has been trying the nest box on for size for the past week.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What kind of duck? Will she hatch them out for you or do you need to put them in an incubator?

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    14! what a secret stash! sneaky. very sneaky! [​IMG]

5. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Congrats! We were also surpised when my Musconvy laid an egg in my goat house and one in the chicken house. We put those eggs under a broody silkie. My call ducks have a nice nest with eggs going too! well Itching for ducklings in about three more weeks! Good luck to you!

6. SportTees

Quote:I don't know what kind she is but she can fly. These are her first eggs and my first duck hen. I was told it is a pain to incubated duck eggs.

7. SportTees

Quote:I ordered some silkies hopefully they will do some of my hatching for me. They won't be here till March though- how old are they before they start to sit?

8. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I incubated some Mallard duck eggs and had better luck with them than with chicken eggs. The trick is to mist the eggs with water a couple of times a day, like when you'd be turning them anyway.

Kathy in Texas

9. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    That's great! If it's a male and a female maybe they'll hatch. If she won't sit on them put them in an incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by