Woozy little Jhaki Campbell! Advice please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by moonhaus, Mar 7, 2013.

1. moonhaus

moonhaus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Hi everyone!

I just received my first shipment of khaki campbels yesterday! Man are they cute!

I have one I'm a bit worried about though. He is a bit smaller and significantly lighter than the others, is really shaky on his feet, tires easily, and I've seen him breathing hard a few times. The others are happy and active.

Should I worry? Is there anything I can do? The group of them got into the water a bit too much last night - I wonder if he has hurt himself?

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks alot
    Jerah

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is he being stepped on at all? I would start him on some electrolytes and Niacin supplements.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would hold him a little bit in a dry washcloth, give vitamins and electrolytes, just watch him a bit.

Elfie was tiny, and slow, for months. But now you cannot tell she was ever developmentally challenged.

And, by getting into their water too much, I am not sure I picture what you're writing about.....

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    X 2 and maybe some sav-a-chick vitamins as well. Niacin is a big one and what are you giving for food?

5. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Like Amiga said...are you saying they are actually getting into the water to 'swim'? Right now they do not need that and in fact can be detrimental at this young age. 4 weeks is good, before that nuh-uh. Their oil gland isn't working yet and they have no way to waterproof their feathers and will get chilled and could die. Please be careful with this. I have always started mine with a quart chick waterer with the marbles for the first few days, then remove the marbles after they are more steady on their feet. The one time out of 6 I didn't do this, I had a little Mallard drown in the water dish. Don't make the same mistake I made. It's an awful feeling to have to deal with on your watch.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hows the duckling? tonight

7. Khakigaspa

Khakigaspa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    I had a KC that was very wobbly at first and I gave him some crushed-up egg yolk (cooked) just a small amount for two days, it did wonders!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by