Work in progress

They will have access to a 14foot wire enclosed trampoline frame

Sorry I couldn't get back to your thread sooner. OK, our climates are similar, however, I believe your winters last a wee bit longer than northen Massachusetts. That said. A 5 x 5 foot coop is plenty of room for 3 chickens. However, if you are able, I would go a bit bigger. Not because of your winters, but because of chicken math. And with only 3 girls, one nest box would suffice. Just make sure there is adequate ventilation. Please do not put a heat lamp in there over the winter. That's how coop fires start. Chickens have their own down feather coats to keep them toasty warm. Second, on to your "run." I believe you are using the trampoline frame as a support for the run. At least that's what I'm visualizing. Just make sure, like any run, that it is predator proof. Use 1/2 inch minimum 19 gauge hardware cloth underneath and on the sides. I suggest putting a roof over it to keep out precipitation and climbing / flying predators. And as far as chickens hating snow: sorry my southern chicken friends. This is New England, where the folks are hardy as well as the livestock. Where adult men run around in bermuda shorts in 30 degree temperatures and even my old retired a** wears a hoody and sandals most of the winter. Granted, my chickens are not fond of fresh snow, but they know they will be able to go out and play before the Spring thaw. You and your wee ones will be fine. Best of luck on your build and your first winter of chicken adventures.

recess.JPG

social distancing.JPG

Yes, I shovel snow so they can nibble on the grass. Such spoiled wee ones.
snow birds.JPG

There will be no heat lamps going in my coop .. not risking it . And chicken math is the reason i am NOT going bigger lol. This way i know my limits and if in the future i want to add on to the coop i will take the time and plan it out . My area is sold out everything other than 2 inch chicken wire so that is what is on the run until they get stock back in but the birds are not in it unsupervised EVER . Thank you for you input :)

There will be no heat lamps going in my coop .. not risking it . And chicken math is the reason i am NOT going bigger lol. This way i know my limits and if in the future i want to add on to the coop i will take the time and plan it out . My area is sold out everything other than 2 inch chicken wire so that is what is on the run until they get stock back in but the birds are not in it unsupervised EVER . Thank you for you input :)
Good to know. I can’t wait to see pictures.

Progress pics... I am having a friend do the building lol I will do the finishing touches to make this little hen house a home ;) There will be a window in the front beside the door and one in the vack as well. The chicken door will be on the side wall and will be on a pulley system. More pics to come over the next few days :)

Attachments

• received_326503218498859.jpeg
    received_326503218498859.jpeg
    911.6 KB · Views: 4
  • received_344085380302615.jpeg
    received_344085380302615.jpeg
    895.2 KB · Views: 4
  • received_228026365186722.jpeg
    received_228026365186722.jpeg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 4
There will be lots of ventilation... 1 on each end , window in front and back aswell as along roofing .
Just make sure the vents are protected from rain (and blowing snow?).

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1597792450676.png

Back
Top Bottom