Work your magic! Gender?

Lisanfloyd

Songster
Jun 27, 2020
Here’s our 5 Golden Sebrights! They are 2 weeks old! Gender guesses??

Attachments

• 5EFF05C4-2B19-475D-A7C9-E4140647F5A4.jpeg
    5EFF05C4-2B19-475D-A7C9-E4140647F5A4.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 313A6D9A-A4AB-4F63-B469-20382F1B9601.jpeg
    313A6D9A-A4AB-4F63-B469-20382F1B9601.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 53DBD284-BB0F-4830-8EB9-78D46599C60D.jpeg
    53DBD284-BB0F-4830-8EB9-78D46599C60D.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 7
  • DF380856-A90C-4EAA-8086-8868302DBCEA.jpeg
    DF380856-A90C-4EAA-8086-8868302DBCEA.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 9EF77D33-9B8A-46AE-A88D-F8B9608ED781.jpeg
    9EF77D33-9B8A-46AE-A88D-F8B9608ED781.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 9
Here’s our 5 Golden Sebrights!
Are they really? :confused:

I only see one straight comb and some rose combs.. which are they supposed to be? :pop

I guess I was thinking Seabright are supposed to be straight but looks like rose is correct.. I've seen the straights pop up in hatchery Wyandotte stock before (presumable due to rose comb association with slow sperm motility after several several generations). This is the first time I've seen it in Seabright.. but I'm NOT surprised at all. I used to think it was a shady practice.. and I NOW understand that when working with genetics.. it's not shady just because the "common" keeper (for lack of a better word) ins't in the know on the details and challenges which present. :oops:

The straight comb is absence of a comb modifying gene (recessive/not dominant).. So bred to a rose comb bird will produce rose comb chicks.. some with a hidden straight comb gene.. that bred to another bird hiding the gene or a straight combed bird would produce straight combs again.. sorry.. this might be a bit to off the rails! :smack

Behavior *may* be you best indicator at this age. Any chicks constantly chest bumping already or always standing tall and watching with an eagle eye when you approach?

Red wattles.. not caused by flushing, are usually the first physical tell tale sign.. this follows shortly into the comb and may start to swell. Usually around 3-4 weeks.. I don't think I've seen it sooner than that, yet. My way too early prediction with NO relevance or reason other than usual 50/50 gender ratio.. is 3 cockerels, 2 pullets. Some claim the shape of the peak around the comb in the feathers to be an indicator of gender, I doubt reliability of that method.

Anyways.. beautiful babies! :love

I only see one straight comb and some rose combs.. which are they supposed to be? :pop

I guess I was thinking Seabright are supposed to be straight but looks like rose is correct.. I've seen the straights pop up in hatchery Wyandotte stock before (presumable due to rose comb association with slow sperm motility after several several generations). This is the first time I've seen it in Seabright.. but I'm NOT surprised at all. I used to think it was a shady practice.. and I NOW understand that when working with genetics.. it's not shady just because the "common" keeper (for lack of a better word) ins't in the know on the details and challenges which present. :oops:

The straight comb is absence of a comb modifying gene (recessive/not dominant).. So bred to a rose comb bird will produce rose comb chicks.. some with a hidden straight comb gene.. that bred to another bird hiding the gene or a straight combed bird would produce straight combs again.. sorry.. this might be a bit to off the rails! :smack

Behavior *may* be you best indicator at this age. Any chicks constantly chest bumping already or always standing tall and watching with an eagle eye when you approach?

Red wattles.. not caused by flushing, are usually the first physical tell tale sign.. this follows shortly into the comb and may start to swell. Usually around 3-4 weeks.. I don't think I've seen it sooner than that, yet. My way too early prediction with NO relevance or reason other than usual 50/50 gender ratio.. is 3 cockerels, 2 pullets. Some claim the shape of the peak around the comb in the feathers to be an indicator of gender, I doubt reliability of that method.

Thank you!! This is soooo interesting! I guess we think the straight comb, Riley, is the rooster, but now we know why he looks different! We have ten chicks all together... 2 previously posted silver duckwing old English bantams and 3 white silkies. One of each acts like a rooster, funny!?! I guess time will tell! We are in need of pullets so wishful hoping! ❤️ Thanks for all the interesting info!

The single comb happens sometimes. Doesn‘t mean anything about purity.
With 4/5 having rose combs, I’d say they’re definitely Sebrights.

The single comb happens sometimes. Doesn‘t mean anything about purity.
With 4/5 having rose combs, I’d say they’re definitely Sebrights.
I didn't mean they weren't pure for being Seabright and explained throughout my post that I was even mistaken about WHICH comb type Seabrught were supposed to have in the first place. :oops:

Whether you like, acknowledge, or comprehend the gist of what was being stated, and I THINK you do have that capability, maybe even more than me.. I stand by what LITTLE information I had to share.. regarding rose comb, slow sperm motility, straight combs being used to avoid it, etc.

Of course straight comb can pop up or other things in these domestic chicken breeds.. many of which had several breeds brought together and selected for several generations the desired traits until they bred true.. so OLD genetics still pop up many unseen generations later..without fail.. :he

So to be clear.. they can still be PURE bred for whatever they are and have an incorrect or *undesirable* (according to the standard of perfection NOT my personal judgement) trait "appear".. or become NO longer hidden. This I know to be TRUE! Breeding good quality birds AGAIN according to the SOP.. is one of the more fantastic challenges that keeps chickens actually interesting and fun for ME in the longer term. It's a learning adventure that never stops changing and growing NO matter HOW much I've experience and am already awed and amazed by the miracles around me, it keeps getting deeper! :ya

We (fanciers who desire) can use these birds when test mating others for THAT trait.. My hole point was that the bird CAN be pure bred and in fact there may be NO reason to consider not keeping it.. basically genetics are tricky.

Also, mainly that the straight comb was not an indicator of gender comparatively.

Coming from any hatchery or feed store, I'm not above questioning a mix up and neither should anyone else be.. it happens ALL the time. People make mistakes. 4/5 is only 80%.. which is plenty for me to run it through the grinder for inspection. My means of survival AND understanding is question EVERYTHING. :confused:

It's a process of deduction.. My first thought went to breed purity, my second thought went to comb possibilities.

Thank you for drawing it to my attention and clarifying that it may not have across or taken as such. Yes they can and may be pure for Seabright.. size and hen feathered cockerels would confirm as maturity sets in. :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom