Working Full Time and Baby Chicks - Doable?

I understand why the shipping is so expensive, but for the price of the shipping I could buy 6 or 7 chicks. I get mine from tractor supply or rural king. I know not everybody has one close enough to go to and has to rely on them being shipped.
It depends if bantams are available at Tractor Supply. If I can't find them locally then I will bite the bullet and have them shipped.

I'm leaning towards either Easter Eggers, Welsummers, or possibly Barred Rock bantams. Those three are consistently described as friendly, and very good layers. And they all tolerate heat and confinement.

There's nothing available right now on either CL or FB.

It depends if bantams are available at Tractor Supply. If I can't find them locally then I will bite the bullet and have them shipped.

I'm leaning towards either Easter Eggers, Welsummers, or possibly Barred Rock bantams. Those three are consistently described as friendly, and very good layers. And they all tolerate heat and confinement.

There's nothing available right now on either CL or FB.
Word of caution buying chicks from tractor supply. From my experience tsc often has chicks mislabeled. They may have bantams listed but could be full size birds. Also I have read numerous posts where people have had similar experiences. Also have red posts where people have purchased pullets and have ended up with more cockerels than pullets.

I did not realize that bantams were so expensive!
Have you checked your local Craig's List and local FB poultry groups?
I sincerely want to commend you on doing your homework before getting the chicks!
and I use a brinsea brooder plate, they often offer scratch and dent models at a discount. Mine had torn packaging but was perfectly fine and I've been using it for 3+ years.
Checked both CL and FB. Nothing.

Homework? :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks. You nailed it...I am a medical coordinator, an organizational person. I want to do the best I can, so I have to research thoroughly before even starting. 📋✏️🔍

I'll keep an eye out for scratched and dented brooders. :thumbsup

This maybe a long shot but if meyers or somewhere has what you want you may want to post in our state thread. There may be someone in your area that wants a few chicks too and would be willing to split shipping costs.
Good thought. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Word of caution buying chicks from tractor supply. From my experience tsc often has chicks mislabeled. They may have bantams listed but could be full size birds. Also I have read numerous posts where people have had similar experiences. Also have red posts where people have purchased pullets and have ended up with more cockerels than pullets.
I have been searching for hatcheries within a couple hours' drive, NONE have bantams, just standards. Or Silkies. Some think those are cute, but I prefer a clean legged breed.

There's a Mennonite farm store about an hour away, but it only offer standards.

Research bantam chick sizes. Know what they look like compared to standard size chicks. And be prepared to rehome a rooster if need be. With all of this you can go in armed to get bantams from TSC.

There are very few hatcheries or even breeders that sell bantam chicks sexed. This is because its dangerous to sex them due to their small size.

Our TSC should be getting chicks in February. I'm in Texas by the way.

you will be fine. food, water and temps are all you need to worry about.

they don't eat much the first few days. change the water out daily. every week raise the heat lamp and inch or two to lower the ambient temps. once they are about 6 weeks old they will be fully feathered and don't need the lamp.

don't worry. its easier than you think.

Back
Top Bottom