Working Full Time and Baby Chicks - Doable?

Pics
I am retired, but used to
I'm currently working full time, leaving the house about 6:00 am and getting home about 4:30pm.

I don't expect any assistance from family with raising day-old chicks until they graduate to the coop.

Can it be done? And without buying expensive equipment?

Other aspects of the situation:
1. No current hens to brood for me
2. No one in the household to watch chicks for me
3. Chicken pen and coop construction will start in the next couple weeks

Or should I just pay the big money to order pullets?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: I did hatch and brood chicks before but it was 30+ years ago, and I was only working part time.

Thanks.

We are brooding in a dog crate this time around …its roughly 4’ x 3’ and will work well for the time our 11 chicks are in it (we aim for full integration into the flock around 3 weeks old). To keep things easy, we use a mama heating pad, nipple waterers, and a feeder without the top holes (my father in law has had chicks get heads stuck in the holes). I work from home but would have no concern leaving the chicks all day (we usually do on the weekends) — I’ve set up a blink security camera so that I can check on them as needed away from home, which also makes leaving them easier.

View attachment 3377538
The nipple waterers are a great time saver and eliminates the possibility of spillage (with the exception of a few drops that may drip out). You’ll also find they don’t need filling or cleaning as often because they don’t get contaminated by bedding or poop. I’d recommend building the coop and run first with an area for brooding.

The nipple waterers are a great time saver and eliminates the possibility of spillage (with the exception of a few drops that may drip out). You’ll also find they don’t need filling or cleaning as often because they don’t get contaminated by bedding or poop. I’d recommend building the coop and run first with an area for brooding.
I've considered this, and the PVC pipe type of feeder I've seen here.

First the run, then the coop, then the basic necessities, THEN the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom