Working Full Time and Baby Chicks - Doable?

I endorse this brooder.

I am on a facebook group called "Pender County Farming Friends", most of whom are near Burgaw NC, which may be not that far away from you? I feel like I've seen people post about trading bantams there. I think it is worth a shot to join the group and ask bantams availability.
It's about a 2 hour drive for me, but I will give it a shot. Thanks!

I did ask to join that FB group. They wanted to know who referred me so I gave them your BYC moniker.

I have an indoor cat and dogs. The cat was inquisitive with my first set of babies. All it took was one of the chicks to peck the cat's nose to make her realize she shouldn't mess with them. The oldest dog treats the babies like they are her babies and is protective of them. I have brooded 4 rounds of babies and worked full time through every one batch. A lot of people on this thread have some great advice. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Woo!

I found a hatchery about an hour's drive from me that hatch Sussex bantams.

Yesterday I got an email reply to inform me that they are expecting a hatch next week.

I let them know that I am interested, yes! :celebrate

The hoop coop is almost done, and I have to create a brooder, so much to do in a week!

Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions.

I picked up ten chicks on Thursday!
IMG_20230302_121420008_HDR~2.jpg

Outdoor brooder, so far no issues:
IMG_20230302_123627436~2.jpg

I took vacation Thursday and Friday to monitor my new charges, make sure they were doing okay. And then I was off on the weekend as well.

But tomorrow I go back to work, leaving before dawn, so I won't see my chicks until late afternoon.

I'm going to miss visiting with them.
1000006362.jpg

View attachment 3423149

View attachment 3423153

I took vacation Thursday and Friday to monitor my new charges, make sure they were doing okay. And then I was off on the weekend as well.

But tomorrow I go back to work, leaving before dawn, so I won't see my chicks until late afternoon.

View attachment 3423155
That will be me at the end of May. 35 babies out side in the huge brooder coop. I'll be off Thursday and Friday of the week they come in and the full week after that. Then wont see them till after 4pm most days. Work 5am to 4pm 4 days a week.

That will be me at the end of May. 35 babies out side in the huge brooder coop. I'll be off Thursday and Friday of the week they come in and the full week after that. Then wont see them till after 4pm most days. Work 5am to 4pm 4 days a week.
Same here. I work 10 hour days so I can take off on Friday. I need a day for errands, doctors' appointments, other chores that I cannot do on the weekend.

View attachment 3423149

View attachment 3423153

View attachment 3423155
I am in your situation currently. 32 chicks in their 10x10 coop brooding it up lol.

I do a morning check at abt 330 before leaving for work, turn their lights on, lock up and then I come home on my 30 min lunch and check them over quickly fill food and/or water if necessary, then I spend all the time after work with them lol...

My husband will go out and open the doors on the days I am not home (we work opposite days) but their care is mine (which i prefer), hence why I do a lunch check lol

Attachments

• 20230305_163051.jpg
    20230305_163051.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 3
I am in your situation currently. 32 chicks in their 10x10 coop brooding it up lol.

I do a morning check at abt 330 before leaving for work, turn their lights on, lock up and then I come home on my 30 min lunch and check them over quickly fill food and/or water if necessary, then I spend all the time after work with them lol...

My husband will go out and open the doors on the days I am not home (we work opposite days) but their care is mine (which i prefer), hence why I do a lunch check lol
That's great, having help! I can't leave for lunch, I'd use the whole time just commuting.

Once the chicks are out of the brooder I won't be as concerned, but right now they're so small...

That's great, having help! I can't leave for lunch, I'd use the whole time just commuting.

Once the chicks are out of the brooder I won't be as concerned, but right now they're so small...
Yeah, he works real hard to open those doors!! 🤣🤣🤣

In all seriousness. He will do it while they are small but otherwise, when he's not available I open them up at 3am (poor babes)

I just moved mine from their brooder to the coop floor yesterday, at 1 wk. The brooder was too small even at 4ftx4ft 🙄🙄

Back
Top Bottom