Worm prevention question.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nicole01, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    What type of worms does food grade DE, cayenne pepper, pumpkin seeds and apple cider vinegar prevent?

Do these products prevent all types of worms? Thank you.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'll discuss the pumpkin seeds only. Pumpkin seeds, squash seeds, and such contain a substance that paralyzes tapeworms and roundworms to the point they can lose their grip on the intestinal walls and by flushed from the system. The pumpkin or squash pulp can actually loosen the bowels a bit, if you get my drift, and help flush them out.

This does not kill the worms. It does not remove all the worms from the chicken's system. It reduces the worm load so that the worms are not draining the chicken's energy as much. Chickens can normally handle a few worms OK. It is when the numbers get high that they cause a serious problem.

3. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you very much! [​IMG]

4. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Once a year, I deliver a ziplock bag with a little bit of fresh chicken poop in it to my vet. He checks it for worms. It costs me $13-20.

If we have worms, it has been tapeworms (from cats pooping in our yard) or round worms ( from wild birds). If you free range your chickens, there is no escaping some exposure to worms, once in a while.

So if we have worms in our hens - and in 10 years, we had them 3 times. Then I ask the vet to give me the correct wormer for the hens and to recommend dosing based on their weight. My standard hens usually weighed 4-5 lbs and my bantam hens weigh 1.5 - 2lbs. Then I dose each bird and clean the coop pine shavings out.

That is it. No mess, no fuss, no poisoning my birds or my eggs with something from the tractor supply store.

Sometimes it is just easier to work with modern medicine!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you everyone for the valuable information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by