Worm Type?? 🪱

Sassy-ChikN Mom

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
** warning** graphic picture below.

hi all! I am wondering if someone can tell me what kind of worms these are?? I noticed worms in some chicken poo about a month ago amd wormed the entire flock with Safeguard (fenbendazole). I did the process where you treat orally on day 1 then repeat X days later (5/7).

Well I messed up somewhere along the way, uses the wrong medicine or something because the worms are back! :he:p:rant

Question 1: did I use the correct medication for these worms? If not, what should I be using?

Question 2: what kind of worms are they?

Question 3: Am I doing something wrong elsewhere that the worms are returning so quickly?

Question 4: other than the many worms in the poo, does this look like healthy poo?

Pictures below. I also have a video of that is helpful… I just have to figure out how to upload and link here.

Thanks so mych

Attachments

• 9D59A5F7-8BB1-466C-B8B2-9025F48B81E2.jpeg
    9D59A5F7-8BB1-466C-B8B2-9025F48B81E2.jpeg
    502.3 KB · Views: 25
  • AC6B3568-0528-40EF-A2F3-E41A6A83A61D.jpeg
    AC6B3568-0528-40EF-A2F3-E41A6A83A61D.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 8FC96EA0-6198-41BD-8C51-B340AAF63FDD.jpeg
    8FC96EA0-6198-41BD-8C51-B340AAF63FDD.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Tapeworms require a wormer that includes praziquantel. Those include Equimax horse paste at a dosage of 0.03 ml per pound of weight or .015 ml for a 5 pound chicken given once and again in 10-14 days. Droncit tablets or Zimectrin Gold horse paste will also work. We can help with dosage s of those. SafeGuard will not treat tapes.

Tapeworms require a wormer that includes praziquantel. Those include Equimax horse paste at a dosage of 0.03 ml per pound of weight or .015 ml for a 5 pound chicken given once and again in 10-14 days. Droncit tablets or Zimectrin Gold horse paste will also work. We can help with dosage s of those. SafeGuard will not treat tapes.
Thank you so much! I’ll head to the feed store in the morning and look for equimax or one of the others.

If using Zimectrin Gold, (which contains less praziquantel and is not as good for the money,) here is the dosage in post 6:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-chickens-with-zimecterin-gold.1314819/
Just sent the hubby to TSC to pic up Equimax. Now I haven’t noticed worms in other poo, but I assume I treat the entire flock as I did last time?

if I do need to treat the entire flock, I have 3, 2 week old silkie chick. Should I treat them? If so, how much should I give them?

I also have 8 other chicks between 4-6 weeks old… should they be treated? If so, what dose?

Tapeworms are spread by the chicken eating an intermediate host that contains the tapeworm eggs. Those hosts are snails and slugs, ants, worms, beetles around the coop or feed, flies, or grasshoppers. The other chickens might not have the tapeworms, if they are not eating the intermediate hosts that contain the worm eggs. You can watch their droppings for any tape segments. Or take some combined droppings in a ziploc bag into your vet for a fecal float. It is possible that they could have another type of worm eggs that are not seen. The common worms are roundworms, cecal, and the more serious ones, capillary and gapeworms. You might see a large roundworm but the eggs and other worms are hard to see without a microscope.

Normally, I would not worm young chicks until they are 2 months old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom