Wormer for laying hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kadjain, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

What wormer do you use for laying hens? I was recomended "Wazine" but after reading the label it says not to use with egg layers.

Thanks

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Cayenne Pepper;

It`s a natural wormer. Mix it heavily with your feed to turn it rusty. Pepper in the front, worms run out the back. Chickens don`t have the heat receptors like most critters, so they eat it up. Worms, on the other hand, heh, heh. You can still eat the eggs. Repeat in 10 days to get the new worms........Pop

3 people like this.
  3. dakotasnake

dakotasnake Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    i use wazine twice a yr. mix with water and dont eat the eggs for 2 wks.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Safeguard paste. Pea size amount on a piece of bread. Repeat in 10 days. Safeguard will not kill tapeworms, if your chickens have those.

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York

It`s a natural wormer. Mix it heavily with your feed to turn it rusty. Pepper in the front, worms run out the back. Chickens don`t have the heat receptors like most critters, so they eat it up. Worms, on the other hand, heh, heh. You can still eat the eggs. Repeat in 10 days to get the new worms........Pop

This is brilliant. Does it change the flavour of the eggs?

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

This is brilliant. Does it change the flavour of the eggs?

Not that I have noticed........Pop

7. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I just used safeguard paste for my fall worming. I used a pea size (or a bit bigger) in their mouths and repeated the process again in 10 days. I thought it was really easy to use and wormed them by myself (I only have 7 hens). It worked well, as I saw worms in their poop the day after the first worming. I had just wormed them in April. Be sure to toss out any eggs for up to 2 weeks after the second dose. Good luck!

8. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Toss out 2 weeks of eggs? That's so many eggs! I have wormed them before with the Wazine before reading the warning and ate the eggs. What could happen?

9. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Quote:This is brilliant. Does it change the flavour of the eggs?

Not that I have noticed........Pop

I love this approach, Pop. Would you ever do it as a prophylactic? Or just if you have evidence of worms? If as a prophylactic, how often?

And I have to wonder if all the medicinal properties of cayenne would make it into the eggs...hmm...

10. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Quote:When you say pea size are you using the safeguard paste for horses? I've seen recomendations for using safeguard liquid wormer for goats.
    Btw Wazine will only kill round worms and nothing more.

Valbazen is another dewormer sold as a pig dewormer that is being used on chickens. It also kills tapeworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by