Wormer Ivermectin Advice

amcconnell

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
If I use Ivermectin do I need to administer it again a week after the initial dose like with some other wormers?

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate that. I did use Ivermectin on 4/1. How long should I wait before I use one of the wormers you recommend?
I wouldnt use ivermectin at all, it is ineffective as a wormer in chickens due to its overuse as a miteacide in chickens. Here's a link regarding testing ivermectin against worms in poultry:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract
I recommend Safeguard liquid goat wormer or valbazen cattle/sheep wormer.

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate that. I did use Ivermectin on 4/1. How long should I wait before I use one of the wormers you recommend?

Use either the safeguard or valbazen now, then repeat again in 10 days. Dosage for either product is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each standard size chicken, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Use one wormer or the other. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.

Use either the safeguard or valbazen now, then repeat again in 10 days. Dosage for either product is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each standard size chicken, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Use one wormer or the other. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.

Thanks for the info. What about a large Orpington roo? Would the dosage be standard size for him?

Yes, I've seen big Orp roos. Bump the dosage up to 3/4-1cc for either wormer if you wish.
I've ordered some valbazen but have never administered meds to the chickens orally before and I've heard horror stories of people getting it into the chickens lungs. How is the best way to give it without squirting it into their lungs? And thank you for all the info....it has been very helpful!
smile.png

Quote: This is how I do mine with Safeguard.

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

• Get your supplies ready

• Catch and weigh your bird.

• Calculate dose and prepare one or more syringes. Please note that this method will work for those who use a 1cc/ml syringe. Anything larger is too big and IMNSHO, not safe! Thedose I used here was 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds)

Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!
  • Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

• Repeat in ten days with either Safeguard or Valbazen.

-Kathy

Quote:
Have someone hold the chicken for you. Use a syringe without a needle. Shake the bottle well, then preload your syringe with the liquid wormer. Then pull the wattles down and the mouth will open, the bird might shake its head and struggle but hang on and dont let go, the bird will tire. For standard size birds, squirt the 1/2cc liquid in the birds mouth and IMMEDIATELY let go of the wattles so's the bird can swallow the liquid on its own, if you dont immediately let go of the wattles, the bird can aspirate. When doing your large rooster with 1cc, dose him 1/2cc at a time giving him the chance to swallow the liquid wormer both times. Dont forget to release the wattles immediately after squirting the liquid in his mouth.
Reworm your birds in this manner 10 days later.

Back
Top Bottom