Wormer

chris328

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Hi
This is my first year with birds i have guinea hens,chickens,ducks, and pair of geese the guinea fowl are for insects the chickens for eggs and the ducks and geese are pets.
What kind of broad spectrum wormer that i can use in the water for all the breeds and that would take care of all types of worms.And what would be the dosage.
Thank you for any info and help you can give me.
P.S. What time of year is the best time to worm?
THANKS AGAIN

I believe valbazen is one of the top broad spectrum wormers, but you have to dose individually. I don't think there are any broad spectrum wormers that can be used in the water. I have heard people say they worm in the spring when it is still cool so that the chickens don't get more stressed with the heat, and it is before egg production gets higher again since you will have to discard eggs for 24 days if you deworm a second time 10 days after your initial worming.

Does Any One Else Have An Answer On This Forum It Seems You Can Never Get Any Answers Unless You A Part Of Some Accepted Group Or
Click!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many people on here recommend wazine for use in the water for worms. It does not work on some worms or tapeworm, but I think on the most common, roundworms. Then after 10 days, you can safely use Valbazen (albendazole) 1/2 ml. for standard breeds and 1/4 ml. for bantams. It will kill all of the worms. Some say using Valbazen the first time you ever worm is dangerous because if they have a heavy load of roundworms, these can cause an obstruction by using valbazen before the wazine. Some say they just go ahead and use the valbazen first. There are other wormers like Ivomec and fenbendazole, and you can look up much info by entering chicken wormer on the above search engine. Be a little patient for answers especially over the weekends and holidays because people may not be reading your post. You can bump yourself if you aren't getting an answer.

Last edited:
There is a product called Wazine that can be used for turkeys, chickens and swine. The bottle does not say if it can be used on other fowl. The guy who sold it to me said to use it in late fall and early spring when egg production is low. Because like the other post said once you treat the chickens you can't eat the eggs. I didn't use the product because the following week I learned that I could use diatomaceous earth, which is all natural. The DE did not come with instructions so I put the feed in a big bowl and stirred in a tablespoon at a time until all the feed was lightly coated... I did this two weeks ago and all my chickens are doing well.

Hi there I am new to the forum and fairly new to chickens. I was unable to find the wormers that are often mentioned here and was also looking for a water soluable wormer. I found a powder formula that you add to either feed or their water, I do not know if it is recommended by those with more experience or even if it is any good, but it was easy and I feel better knowing that I atleast gave them something. The wormer is called Piperazine 52 and is recommended for chickens, turkeys, horses etc.

I found it difficult to get advise at my local feed store as I was told that the wormers that I was looking for?"(names I found on the forum) are for horses and that they don't normally get people looking for chicken wormer.

I hope you will share with us if you have any luck finding any other water soluable wormers.

Quote:
I dont know of any accepted groups nor clicks. Perhaps if you posted in the emergency section, you've wouldve gotten quicker responses.
I will answer your question and I can only give you recommendations for chickens and certain wormers for turkey's. I have no clue what to use on the other fowl you mentioned. I wouldnt recommend a wormer for ducks, geese nor guinea fowl because I dont know if the wormers for chickens would be effective or detrimental to those fowl you mentioned. Therefore I cant recommend a wormer for them. Besides, I dont own those types of fowl.
For chickens, I recommend valbazen. It is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and is administered orally. You can use a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose again 10 days later to kill larva hatched from eggs since the initial dosing. Valbazen slowly kills worms over several dyas and there is no need to worry about toxic dead worm overload in their system. Valbazen kills all types of worms including tapeworms. There is a 24 day withdrawal period (as Roz mentioned) from start to finish.
Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms and is mixed in water. It used in chickens, turkey's and swine as mentioned.
The bad thing about adding wormers to water is the fact that you dont know if they actually drank the treated water or not AND/OR if they drank enough of it to be effective. Additionally if there are lethagic or sick chickens, they wont drink anyway... they are too sick to drink.
Besides wazine in turkey's, safeguard equine paste and/or safeguard 10% liquid goat wormer can both be used in chickens and turkey's. Administration is orally. For the paste, dosage is a "pea" size amount given to each chicken. For the safeguard liquid goat wormer, dosage is orally...1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose again 10 days later (both wormers.) There is a 24 day withdrawal period from start to finish with both wormers.
You can use zimectrin gold equine paste equine wormer which contains ivermectin and praziquantel. Praziquantel kills tapeworms. Dosage is orally, a small "pea" size amount to each chicken. Repeat dosing in 10 days. There is a 24 day withdrawal period start to finish.
You can use equimax paste equine wormer which contains ivermectin and praziquantel. Given orally. Same dosage and withdrawal as zimectrin gold.
You can use eprinex. It is placed on bare skin on the back of the chickens neck. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. There is no with drawal period for eprinex, Redose again 10 days later.
You can use ivermectin pour on. It is placed on bare skin on the back of the chickens neck. Dosage is 6 drops for giants, 5 drops for large fowl, 4 drops for standards, 3 for small chickens, 2 drops for smaller chickens, 1 drop for 4-16 week old chicks. Redose again 10 days later. There is a 24 day withdrawal period start to finish.
There are other equine paste wormers with BB size dosages, but I have never used them.
Wazine and safeguard are the only wormers that I know of that can be used on turkey's. (I dont own turkey's) The rest can be used on chickens. DE will not prevent nor kill worms. Valbazen is the best wormer on the market.
ETA: The best time to worm is whenever you decide to worm. I worm every 3 months. Worms weaken the chickens immune system opening the door for other diseases to infect them. I recommend that you set up a regular worming schedule that best suits your environmental conditions. Warm and wet soil calls for worming sooner. Cold and dry soil requires less worming.

Last edited:
Yes, with enough repeat dosages every 10 days... but, gapeworm is rare... test for it with the Q-tip test first.. if it is the rare gapeworm, you will lose some chickens before the treatment is effective on the rest..

Treat with Valbazen every ten days..... look for posts by dawg53 on Gapeworm for most correct, best info on treating for worms of any kind.

Back
Top Bottom