Worming chicken help please

superlukee

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2016
Hey y'all, I'm gonna go to the store tommorow to buy a wormer. I've never bought a actual wormer. What do I buy and how much do I give my chickens ? I have 4 chickens 2 small ones (bantam and Mille fluer de'uccle) and 2 red sex links. One of my red sex links I can feel her breastbone, and I want to worm them just incase . Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks you!

I use Valbazen 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for regular sized chickens, and 3/4 ml for large hens or roosters, given orally once and then repeated in 10-14 days. There is a 14 day egg withdrawal with that. Some use fenbendazole (SafeGuard Goat wormer or equine paste, or Panacur.) Wormout Gel is one that gets most worms as thise do, but can be put in the water for 2 days. For a $20-30 cost your vet vet could examine some fresh droppings with a fecal test to rule out worms or coccidiosis.

Last edited:
You might see what you can find in your local feed stores, and then price them online. Casportpony advises to treat with SafeGuard for 5 straight days to get the worst worms such as capillary worms, or 3 days for gapeworms and cecal worms. I like Valbazen since one dose gets them, and then a repeat gets the worm eggs, but it has to be given individually. Casportpony has posted more recently about giving it in the water at a certain dosage. The Wormout gel has to be bought online, but gets them all with a 2 day treatment in the water. A fecal float can save a lot of extra work and expense for the meds. Many people never worm, so getting them tested can make sure if there is a problem or not. Wormers can be costly, but I would skip Wazine,since it only gets roundworms.

The store clerk will try to sell you what they have in stock--most push Wazine at everyone, but it only gets round worms. Most carry SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste. I prefer Valbazen because of fewer doses. The directions are in posts 4 and 6. They are given orally to each chicken.

Back
Top Bottom