Worming Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BigCluck, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BigCluck

BigCluck New Egg

Dec 10, 2011
    I have a chicken that I suspect has worms. I've been treating him with Red Cell to help the anemia and just picked up some Wazine today to help with the worm issue. Here is my question, I prepared the mixture of Wazine and water as instructed on the bottle and have replaced the chickens regular water with this mixture. How long should I allow the chicken to drink this? And, when is it advisable to give it to them again?

Thank you.

2. homeschoolchick

homeschoolchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    You only give them the water for 24 hrs. PM - Dawg53, he is a great person and knows a lot about parasites and follow up treatments [​IMG]

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Wazine only kills roundworms from what I understand.. it is used for, but not recommended for Laying hens... Search for the withdrawal period if you choose to use Wazine... and know that chickens get many types of worms and Wazine will never treat all of them.

How old is the chicken/the flock you suspect of having worms? I don't use Wazine.. the warning not to give it to egg producing chickens, period.... and the fact that it does not kill all worms.. I just think there are better, safer, more effective choices, my own opinion.

Do Search "worming"... and do look to and trust posts by dawg53 on worming..

I would not redose with Wazine.. I would wait the ten days ( It's ten days with other wormers, so maybe the same with Wazine )... and then I would give a different, more effective wormer that kills all types of worms.. such as Valbazen?

Search "Worming with Valbazen".. "Giving medications orally", or "giving oral medications".. "Valbazen dosages".. "Worming"... etc... and do seek out posts by dawg53 on worming for best info.

Good luck.

4. BigCluck

BigCluck New Egg

Dec 10, 2011
    Thank you for your help. The chicken is a rooster and I needed to find something quickly and that's what the feed store gave me. I will now get some Valbazen and try that for the next treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by