1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worming chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by superlukee, Mar 21, 2017.

1. superlukee

superlukee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    Hey y'all, is there any natural worming treatment that works? If not what worming treatment should I buy? I want to be prepared for if it happens. Hope your all having a great day. Thanks - luke

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No such product exists. Best to have routine fecals done and treat when needed.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I highly respect Casportpony and agree on routine fecals and if a problem exists, use a good worm medication that will work on the worms present.
    However, I found a good product for prevention and treatment from Molly's Herbals.
    I've used it off and on for a few years and I've never had anything show up in fecal samples.
    http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer
    The great thing is that there's no egg withdrawal time.

4. superlukee

Mar 19, 2016
    But what medicine can I buy (for when) (or if) it happens where my chickens get worms

5. superlukee

Mar 19, 2016
    And thanks for the replies !

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What medicine you use will depend on what worms you have, so best to do routine fecals.

7. sellersV

sellersV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2017
    Ok maybe dumb question but I'm new to all this , what do you mean by routine fecal?

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Take a sample of feces to a local vet. There are also on line companies where you can mail a specimen. Be aware that all animals, chickens and humans included bear a varying load of internal parasites. Yes, even you and me. They only become problematic if they are producing symptoms. So, the idea of treating your birds for a parasite that may or may not even be present, and if present, may never become a problem, is not even considered best practice, IMO. If given free range in an area that has multiple herbs and natural plants, chickens will self medicate.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  9. sellersV

sellersV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2017
    Ok , thanks for clearing that up.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    YVW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by