Worming Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Elsachicken, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Elsachicken

Elsachicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi!

I'm interested to hear what people use when worming chickens. I haven't worked ours yet as haven't had long and they weren't planned!! They found us.

So do I treat the chickens with anything even if they don't have worms? I read it's a 6 monthly thing but I'm unsure of what products to use. I have two hens and would appreciate some advice. they are around 5 months of age.

Many thanks .

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I don't treat for worms unless I suspect they are present (worms in poop, etc). I do feed, regularly, foods that traditionally, are regarded to prevent or treat worms (Pumpkin, Squash, Garlic, Cayenne, Nasturtium, Carrots, Mint,.). My present flock is a year old and I've never wormed (or have seen signs of worms) them.

3. Silkies rule Forever

Silkies rule Forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2018
    I use safeguard wormer
    0.23 ml per pound of chicken

4. Folly's place

Folly's place True BYC Addict

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Your pullets are very unlikely to have any worms! Also, there's nearly nothing useful that's also approved for use in laying hens. It's best to have a fecal test run at your veterinarian's if you think your birds have internal parasites!
    Using a wormer when there's no problem is NOT better!!!
    Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by