Worming chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Monstro, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Monstro

Monstro Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2014
    Wayland, MI
    Got our first egg this week, so went to TSC yesterday to get oyster shell. Also picked up DE to try out as a preventative. Noticed they had a chicken wormer in the same area, never gave much thought to chickens needing wormed before.

Should worming be done as preventative maintenance and if so, when?

Thanks

2. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Some people are religious about worming their birds once a year. Usually in fall during molt, since you won't want to eat the eggs for at least 2 weeks. Others don't bother until they see a problem. I'm in that mindset. Make it a point to observe their poop. You can usually see the wigglies if they are there. Also, if you're getting poo covered eggs (that aren't poopy for obvious reasons) you may want to worm them.

3. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I don't worm. As Nupe mentioned,
    I hope that's how things work, because that's what I do. And I don't inspect every day.

Living northerly instead of southerly, I tend to think there's less of a worm load that my chickens are going to have to deal with because it's so blasted cold 1/2 the year and their pasture is frozen. If I and my chickies were living southerly, I think I might be a little more persnickety when it came to worming.

Now, DE ... yep, that's in their feed. 1%. I don't use it as a worming part of the feed. I just put it in there because I figure it can't hurt at 1%.

4. Nupe

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    I put DE in their coop and their food to keep flies from breeding in their poo. Last summer I had more flies in my house than my chicken coop.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Why worm during molt? Molt causes stress in birds, worming them during molt causes more stress which could weaken their immune system opening the door for diseases to infect them. People who wait to see a problem are part of the problem. When worms are seen in feces, that means there's an infestation and internal damage has already occured. Poop covered eggs arnt a sign of worms, that's misinformation. That simply means that the fluff/feathers on their butt needs trimming back for a clear 'shot' to the ground to prevent poopy butt fly strike.

6. Nupe

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    I don't know, I don't do it.

Like I said, religious. There is no problem, just prerogative. I'll give my birds poison when I'm sure it's a benefit.

1 person likes this.
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    IMO I don't think you should worm chickens unless they have worms.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I lived in Georgia most my life until two years ago. I can assure you the soil in Georgia is prime time worm soup.

10. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by