Worming Ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MakNat, Sep 20, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Songster

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Is it safe to let ducks drink the worming water that I give my chickens. I've got 8 Muscoveys living with about 30 chickens. I want to worm the chickens this fall. I don't know if it is safe for the ducks??

2. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Use red pepper. My birds love it.

ETA: Do a search on here for it if you don't all ready know about it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  3. Ducks drink more than chickens, so they could overdose on the medication. I use the 1.87% horse oral ivermectin. I give each duck a bb sized amount right into their mouth. I just did all the ducks 2 days ago. Do it in the fall, and in the spring. twice a year.

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I'm an idiot, but also nearly-a-newbie idiot.

What kind of worms normally afflict ducks, and do they really NEED worming twice a year/at all?

I need specifics in order to convince the rest of my human flock that worming really is necessary. [​IMG]

About how many different things are available to worm ducks (and geese) besides the ivermectin and red pepper? Are you talking about cayenne pepper?

After I write this, I'm going to do a search - but I'll come back to see if there's any new information or advice. [​IMG]

EDIT:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2749782

Basically that's what I've found.

I'm going to research more and hopefully be able to find this stuff at the local feed store. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I've read a lot of conflicting information about worming ducks, but I think I might follow the advice of worming in the late fall, worming when I get newcomers (unless they have been wormed already) and worming before I sell. They use a different wormers in the UK, but here's an article by Chris Ashton at Smallholder:
    http://www.smallholder.co.uk/poultry/976875.worms_in_waterfowl_and_poultry/

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Oh, as far as dosages and what to use... I thought I would send an email off to someone about that in the next week or so. I wanted to make up a good list of questions before popping of the email though so I didn't have to bug them a lot.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I was just wondering about this a few days ago, my vet, whom also works on farm critters & owns a lot himself, sells worming stuff to me for all my animals. it's a milky colored liquid, cant remember the name though.

I was going to call him and ask if it works for birds too. everyone looks clean and acts fine but i wanna make sure since i keep the ducks in with the chickens sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by