Worming Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover15, Aug 3, 2010.

1. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

What products can I use to de-worm my ducks? I would like to start doing this twice a year to keep my flock healthy. I don't have any poultry vets near me but I may be able to get some products from a vet if I call around.

Does Tractor Supply carry anything?

I have call ducks and one Black East Indie.

2. ruralmom

ruralmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    I posted something to your post the other day and got no replys. I acquired 6 East Indie ducklings from a person that I think the chickens had worms and I wanted to treat them and quarintene then from my WH and gray call duckling. I suggested DE in the feed or ACV. I also read that there is something that starts with a 'w' that should be the first time wormer of choice but do not have any idea of the name or if it is ok for ducklings. I will try to find the name of the stuff and post it.

3. brenna

brenna Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    How many people on here de-worm their ducks? Is it dangerous not to even with a small flock?

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    A lot of people do not worm ducks. Internal parasites are not as common in ducks as in other types of poultry. We occasionally worm and have used various things. A lot of people on BYC seem to use Ivermectin, but I don't think it is a very comprehensive wormer for poultry (certainly not for internal parasites anyway). The most comprehensive poultry wormer is Flubendazole, but it is very hard to find in the US. The last time I tried to order it, I only found one dealer in the US even selling it (you might google it though). You can also use Fenbendazole. Safeguard is probably the most readily available form, but if you have a large number of birds, it is kind of hard to dose (the crumbles, maybe the liquid is easier). Anyway, there are various other less comprehensive wormers that will work on ducks as well, like Piperazine. These are some of the more frequently mentioned ones, but you might be able to find others online or through some of the poultry or vet supply places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by