Worming free range chickens

Kelly Chambers

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
Hi guys, I have 20 chickens and 2 ducks that all free range together. Have never wormed them before so a couple of questions please! The ducks drink way more than the chickens so how do I add to water without them getting too much? I was given harka-verm and told this was the same thing?? I have 5 young birds that were wormed a few weeks ago by the person I got them off, will it harm them to have more? Birds are all varying sizes from pekins to Orpington and are in great health. Any advice appreciated thankyou!

It looks like Harka-verm's active ingredient is levamisole.

Dosage:
For ducks: 20-50 mg/kg bodyweight, added to drinking water source. Should be in accordance with product label.
For chickens: 20-36 mg/kg bodyweight added to drinking water source. Should be in accordance with product label.
Source: http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/levamisole

Which means ducks need more anyway.

H-V has 80 mg/ml. I'd use 30 mg for both, so the math is:

(1ml/80mg) x (30mg/kg) = 3ml dose/8kg of bodyweight. You can substitute whatever dose you want for the 30 mg, but it was in the middle, and it made the math easier.

Figure out what your flock weighs (this is why I have a scale; you might have to guesstimate). and assume they'll drink the water proportionately.

As for the young birds, Levamisole has a withdrawal for egg production of (and I quote) 16.4 days. (Where do they come up with these numbers?) which means it's mostly out of their systems by now. You should be safe to re-dose.

It looks like Harka-verm's active ingredient is levamisole.

Dosage:
For ducks: 20-50 mg/kg bodyweight, added to drinking water source. Should be in accordance with product label.
For chickens: 20-36 mg/kg bodyweight added to drinking water source. Should be in accordance with product label.
Source: http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/levamisole

Which means ducks need more anyway.

H-V has 80 mg/ml. I'd use 30 mg for both, so the math is:

(1ml/80mg) x (30mg/kg) = 3ml dose/8kg of bodyweight. You can substitute whatever dose you want for the 30 mg, but it was in the middle, and it made the math easier.

Figure out what your flock weighs (this is why I have a scale; you might have to guesstimate). and assume they'll drink the water proportionately.

As for the young birds, Levamisole has a withdrawal for egg production of (and I quote) 16.4 days. (Where do they come up with these numbers?) which means it's mostly out of their systems by now. You should be safe to re-dose.
Thankyou so much for this!

Back
Top Bottom