Worming good preventive maintenance?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by imthedude, Jan 6, 2011.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    Birds are not laying much right now, and I think a 3 or 4 are lightly molting, so I'm thinking about worming them as a good preventive maintenance before production picks up so I don't have to waste even more eggs. How many of you worm your flock whether or not you have evidence of your birds being wormy?

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    yup - if wild birds have access to the pen / run at all they will eventually get worms. Not a problem to preventatively treat for this little issue!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I worm my entire flock every 6 months, as well as my horses.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Ditto, you should worm them 2 treatments per year.The 1st treatment and then 10 days later and another treatment 6 months later,same thing 1st time and 10 days later to kill the cycle.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    mr. birdaholic :

I worm my entire flock every 6 months, as well as my horses.​

5. meekasmom

meekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Elkhart, IN
    I'm very new at keeping chickens and I would like to know what to worm them with. Where do you buy the wormer, etc.?

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Hey Meekasmom - welcome to Chickens!

I found what I needed at my local Rural King. It was actually a horse wormer, not sure of the name, but look around in the "emergency & diseases" section of the forums here and you'll probably find a thread about worming that will give you the info. Or someone will come along here and give you the names [​IMG]

It was recommended to use one thing in the water (and throw out the water after they've had access to it for a day). Then 10 days later you use the horse stuff. I got two of my gals laying again after I did this -- whoo hoo!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had chicken for around 5-6 years and have never wormed (or is that de-worm) my flock. Never noticed worms but then again, maybe I don't know what I am looking for.

Subscribing. Curious if this is a regional thing or just preventive maintenance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by