Worming help

medicated feed with amprolium for starters then follow the recommendations using Valbazin and Safeguard, Safeguard is easy to use as you can not over medicate and can be mixed in with sunflower seeds instead of forcing down the throat but other meds you will have to do that if you want them to stay healthy because once they catch something then they all get sick and you have to force meds down all their throats. Earth worms are a killer so be care full when rainy season comes

The chickens will kill them if they are together as chicks, they need to be full grown before you put them in with the chickens or expect deaths from chickens pecking to death your baby pea fowl.

The chickens will kill them if they are together as chicks, they need to be full grown before you put them in with the chickens or expect deaths from chickens pecking to death your baby pea fowl.
The peafowl are about the same size as the chickens. They are growing fast :) I'll still wait for awhile, before I let them all roam together.

medicated feed with amprolium for starters then follow the recommendations using Valbazin and Safeguard, Safeguard is easy to use as you can not over medicate and can be mixed in with sunflower seeds instead of forcing down the throat but other meds you will have to do that if you want them to stay healthy because once they catch something then they all get sick and you have to force meds down all their throats. Earth worms are a killer so be care full when rainy season comes
Thanks :) Can I be giving them the sunflower seeds now? They are about 2 months old. I'd love to start giving them extra treats. Right now they only get the medicated wild game bird food, and some meal-worms (for extra protein).

Thanks :) Can I be giving them the sunflower seeds now? They are about 2 months old. I'd love to start giving them extra treats. Right now they only get the medicated wild game bird food, and some meal-worms (for extra protein).
I recommend that you use medicated chick starter for at least the first four or five months. I start mixing in a limited amount of grains after about three months.

Sunflower seeds are a treat high in Thiamine a vitamin good for them but also is NOT good for them if they are sick with coccidiousis as it feeds the worms they feed on robbing the birds of what they need so avoid giving them any treats like sunflower seed #1 and or bread#3 in the Thiamine vitamin. If your feeding them the wild bird game feed and crumbles and a lying pellet, they will be getting what they need and stuff like shelled corn, sunflower seeds are just treats to avoid giving them regularly as they will pick out their favorites and avoid the other stuff they need which in turn hurts your birds because they are now not getting enough nutrients by eating the treats they pick out. Give them sunflower seeds and bread sparingly. Also if they dont get sunflower seeds nor corn then they also wont need grit and oyster shell crumbles will be sufficient. But if you feed them the seeds and grains then they need the grit also.

I would wait till they double the size of the chickens as all the chickens will gang up on one bird at a time till they kill it then go for the other. Chickens are known to contract coccidiousis and may be immune to it where as your peafowl are not and it could kill them so watch for all the signs of ruffed up looking and drooping wings with running stools turning yellowish white in advanced stages you will find clear water and blood in the stool and they will be close to death at that point, If your able to walk up and touch them for the first time ever without them barely moving then you got a serious infection and may lose a bird within days if not hours. Definitely listen to KsKingBee he does know a lot about birds as does Caspotney, sorry dont think I spelt that right. I did just learn the hard way about Coccidiousis and blackhead and lost a bird and almost all of them. However after researching endlessly and talking with MSU vets in person, I did cure my birds so I do know the method I used worked and now recommend this treatment to all others having same issues.

Last edited:
Sunflower seeds are high in fat, so feed only as a treat, and be sure to offer insoluble grit if you are feeding seeds of any type.

Back
Top Bottom