worming meds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by omelette'smom, Sep 15, 2009.

1. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've looked for threads on this subject to no avail. I haven't seen any worms but want to dose the flock anyway. Is this wrong to do? I went to TSC and only saw cat/dog wormers. Do we use these or is there chicken wormers? Do you put it in the water or dose each individual? I want to ready up the flock for winter and this is on the checklist of things to do. Thanx for your help! (Some chickens are 3 months and never wormed and the rest are adoptees ranging in ages and history of ownerships and care)

2. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Do it the natural way.

Feed them pumpkin seeds (whole). They LOVE them and its a natural dewormer.

They also love the pumpkin. Cut one in half, give it to them, get out of the way![​IMG]

This is the perfect season right now, lots of pumpkins coming on the market. I wait until AFTER Halloween and people just give them away. [​IMG]

Sorry I can't address you question about any other chicken dewormers. I have always gone the natural way.

HTH

Ma

3. ilovebuffs

ilovebuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    I've seen a lot of people on here say they used ivomec and put 3 drops between their wings...I've not done it yet. Still on my list to do. I've also seen several that use Wazine or Piperdine(sp?). Wazine, I think, is just for round worms. The other is for more. I'll subscribe to this topic so I can find out what is best too. I'm not sure about the pumpkin seeds...I've seen some say that's just an old wives tale. I guess it wouldn't hurt. My chickens absolutely love any kind of seeds. Good Luck:)

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I cannot find any good scientific data on home rememdy wormers so I tend to stick with the known meds. And since parasites are rare in the desert I tend to get a fecal screened by the vet if I have reason to believe that worms could be present. I have to admit that I do a lot of poop patrol on the chickens as well as our dogs as I find it to be a good barometer of anything abnormal going on with them.

That being said, I bought birds from someone who kept them in the same kennel outside with dogs. And the dogs did not look good. So while I confined the birds at our home initially I wormed them with fenbendazole using the 10% liquid goat wormer from Jeffers. Our vet suggested to use 1 ml per liter of water for 5 days and with hold eating eggs for 14 days past the last dose day.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Valbazen..You give 1/2 cc orally, undiluted, per standard bird. Bantams get 1/4 cc.

Valbazen

All of mine are getting wormed this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by