1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worming My Birds, Can Ducks Be Wormed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Yoda, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    It is time to worm my flock of Peafowl and chickens. I use Safeguard for goats, 3cc to a gallon of water for 3 days. Will this be ok for my 3 ducks that are in the pen with them? Never had ducks before and I want to be sure they will be ok [​IMG]

2. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Im not sure about that but there are lots of natural wormers if your concerned like garlic, Diatomaceous Earth, Cayenne Pepper and pumkin seed there are proubly more but thats all i can think of right now .

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Is there any details for contacting the company on the container of safeguard? If not- google the company and ask directly is my advice. There may be pepople on here that have used it for ducks- and maybe the ducks were ok- but that doesnt mean that in some cases it cant also be harmful. At least that way you will have the correct information about the product you want to use. Natural wormers dont break the life cycle and eradicate all worms- so although its not preferable to give chemicals in the water for some reasons - such as wanting to raise an organically fed flock- its best to use the more tried and true products- and leave the natural remedies for precautionary use.

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Cayenne Pepper works good ducks/chickens.

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree that the dosage for ducks may very well be different than for chickens - seems the ducks drink more water in the first place, and are a little different from chickens in a number of ways (very different in others [​IMG] )

Also, I'm not convinced they need worming unless you have evidence for concern. Perhaps you've had worms in animals already, so they would be at high risk. Or perhaps you've seen them with symptoms of having worms.

6. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    I worm my peafowl 2 times a year. Before breeding season and then after breeding season. So my question again is can the ducks drink the water with the wormer in it? I do not know if the wormer will bother them or not?

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Short answer: no.

Explanation: if you have not checked the source of thw wormer or a vet to determine the proper dosage for the ducks, you are risking trouble.

8. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I worm my ducks, you should work all of your poultry. When I worm, I do 2 things. 1) is Peprizine, or Wizine ( same product different brands) in the water. You can over use and be safe. Yes, its ok if the ducks bath in it. The second thing I do is get a tube of Ivomec horse wormer paste. I do this 2 times a year, early spring and late fall right after a freeze. I take the horse wormer and squeeze it all out in a line, then I cut it according to weight.. or I just put a dab on my finger, either way, you will get it figured out fast how much goes on your finger with out all the stress of math and cutting the paste. I normally make a few cuts to get a mental picture and go from there. Anyway....
    I just catch them, open their mouth and wipe the paste on the upper part of the bill. My chickens, guinea ducks, everything gets wormed this way 2 times a year. I even do this with the dogs and rabbits. The Ivomec is helpful because it gets external as well as internal and the peprizine is just an easy in the water way to go that takes no time at all and is very cost effective.
    If you don't worm, you will have issues. Worming is one of the cheapest and most important things you can do on a farm.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I use Wazine 17 and do all the birds at the same time. With ducks it means no swimming pools that day- just a bucket of water with the wazine in it. With the chickens I usually keep them in so they don't find any puddles and avoid the waterers with the meds in them .

10. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    I have peafowl and call ducks together. I worm them with 3 cc Valbazen per gallon water for 3 days then repeat in 2 weeks. I only do this when they are not laying eggs.
    Aprille

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by