Worming Question, Dependent Hen

Heres a good link for deworming with Safeguard, with dosage and information. Safeguard is better than wazine and ivermectin.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/812128/worming-with-horse-wormer

A good way to figure out what worms she has is to get a her poop tested at the vet. There are other worms that need a 5 day treatment in a row, like capillary worms. Tapeworms are hard to treat too. It depends if she has these.

Treat her again for lice/mites. Where she is older, she could have something else going on. Definately tries these to see if she improves.

A good way to figure out what worms she has is to get a her poop tested at the vet. There are other worms that need a 5 day treatment in a row, like capillary worms. Tapeworms are hard to treat too. It depends if she has these.

Treat her again for lice/mites. Where she is older, she could have something else going on. Definately tries these to see if she improves.[/quote]

Our vet isn't interested in hearing about chickens. He told me to get Wazine, that was all he knew. Then I called the local agricultural extension. A nice young man said of course they could help, he'd get back to me. He called shortly - said he'd googled "treating worms iin chickens" - and read me what he'd found on BYC!

We're new to a rural area, and unfortunately folks here seem to view chickens as disposable/replaceable animals.

Our vet isn't interested in hearing about chickens. He told me to get Wazine, that was all he knew. Then I called the local agricultural extension. A nice young man said of course they could help, he'd get back to me. He called shortly - said he'd googled "treating worms iin chickens" - and read me what he'd found on BYC!

We're new to a rural area, and unfortunately folks here seem to view chickens as disposable/replaceable animals.
unfortunately that is common, we have to figure it out ourselves, do our own treatments. This site has helped me in saving my hen. I have learned a lot on here. Lots of good information here and support.

Wazine is a good first treatment as it only gets rid of round worm. If a hen is "loaded" with worms you don't want to kill them all at once as it could kill the hen. So Wazine and then the follow up with a broad based wormer like Safeguard.

Topical ivermectin is a good treatment for mites, about 5 drops on the skin for a LF. Can get rid of round worms although in some places they have developed a tolerance due to using it for a mite treatment.

Back
Top Bottom