Worming Question??????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bill2457, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Bill2457

Bill2457 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    I have 9 hens, 3 of which i purchased about 3 weeks ago. The guy i purchased the 3 from said that he had just wormed them just prior to my buying them. I noticed today while cleaning out the coop that there was some small worms in one of the piles of poop and I'm not sure which hen its coming from. Should i worm all but the 3 new ones or should i worm them all? Also, he told me that 2 of the 3 were laying before he wormed them, their not laying for me yet. Should'nt the be after 3 weeks if they were before i got them? Also, Also, 1 of the hens is got runny poop but i see no worms in that.

what do you chicken pro's think?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you worm all of them now. Reworm them again in 10 days. Use safeguard (fenbendazole) or valbazen (albendazole) to worm them. There's a total of 24 days withdrawal start to finish after using either product. Egg production slows this time of the year for various reasons.

3. Bill2457

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks dawg53,
    How much do i give each bird and how do i give it to them? I read so much conflicting opinions and information on this site i'm not sure what to do. What works for you and how often have you done it?

Bill

4 Ameraucana, 1 Black Star, 1 Blue Andalusian, 3 Golden Sebright

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If your feed store doesnt carry safeguard liquid goat wormer or valbazen, you can order from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Both are liquids and administered by using a syringe without a needle to dose orally. The valbazen is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds.
    Dosage for valbazen is 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Again, redose them in 10 days. I worm every 3 months due to our warm moist soil. It depends on your environment/soil how often you should worm. That's up to you.

5. Bill2457

Oct 16, 2011
    thanks again.
    I'm in central Florida and I'll go to tractor supply tomorrow to see if they have what I need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by