Worming testimony-sad

barkerg

Songster
7 Years
Jun 28, 2015
Salado, Texas
Hello BYC,
As some have followed on the threads concerning the Ivermectin and Safeguard dosage issues and the dilution in water etc... I in the past tense used to deworm the way I had been taught over the years with safeguard at 3cc per 1gal of water and ivermectin at 4cc per 1gal of water. I picked up an adult green rooster from a friend that taught me to worm peafowl that way. It was in very bad shape neck back, wings dragging, swaying, eyes closed and weighed less than 4lbs. I knew it was too late but I tried anyways, all night in fact but he slowly passed. I opened him up, and no I didn't take pics because when you guys perform this task it looks like Dr Quinn medicine woman (Kathy
1f602.png
)but when I attempt it, its more like naked and afraid and I was just embarrassed to say the least, so Im sorry for that. The bird looked fine inside, liver,heart, all organs had great color. When I got to the digestive tract is where it got bad, his intestines were full of large round worms, they sucked him dry. He also tried ivermectin orally down the throat a few weeks ago and the worms I found were very mature way more than a couple of weeks old. The sad thing is, he is so set in his ways that he is blaming the feed store for a stronger strain worm in his crumbles and yes I have tried to change his thinking but its still a work in progress. In conclusion, from my observations, Im keeping my ivermectin mainly for my dogs heart worm remedy as I am now not sure it kills worms like most think and Im sure that 4cc mixed with a gallon is not enough to be effective. The 3cc safeguard deal is also not good, administer orally at full strength or get some water soluble Valbazen. I hope I helped someone because I sit back and think of how many birds I have lost over the years and couldn't figure out why and chalked it up as par for the course,
1f44e.png

Gerald Barker

That is only one of the reasons its so important to do fecal checks. What makes it so hard for people to understand is that Bark- when your friend first had poultry, its likely that the dosage he still uses worked. Parasites, like disease are always evolving and its a constant race between problem and cure with the problem always getting a few lengths head start.

Back
Top Bottom