Worming? Two groups integrating

daxigait

Free Ranging
8 Years
Aug 10, 2015
SW Missouri
I have two groups of birds that are six and seven months old and two 16 week old pullets. I have never wormed, and wanted to know how I should do it before I move them all to the new coop and run from their summer tractors. I habe been reading and am unsute if I should just do wazine or it and then Ivemectrin, or something else. Btw I am just finishing Corid with the one group that I brought the two youngest birds into from a npip farm as they got bad poops a week after the move. Thanks in advance from a newbie.

I would imagine either of the products you mention would be fine. Not sure it matters when you administer it to be honest.

CT

@casportponyyou are so helpful on this stuff. Which would you use Safeguard, ivem., or wazine (I have them all as a horse owner too). Dosage? Should I dust them too as they are all moved to the brand new coop and run?

@casportponyyou are so helpful on this stuff. Which would you use Safeguard, ivem., or wazine (I have them all as a horse owner too). Dosage? Should I dust them too as they are all moved to the brand new coop and run?

Wazine only treats large roundworms, Safeguard will treat almost all worms but has to be given 3 days in a row to get gapeworms and 5 days in a row for capillary worms. Studies show that ivermectin is no longer an effective wormer, so keep that for your horses, cows and goats. :D Valbazen is another option. One can get a 500 ml bottle for about $45 plus shipping or a 60ml bottle for about $15 plus shipping.

The Safeguard dose I use is 0.23ml per pound for 5 days.
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound once and repeat in 10 days.
Wazine direction are on the bottle and I think it's 1 ounce per gallon for one day.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Another 'small amount' lower cost option is to mix your own using aquatic (fish) Albendazole pills and distilled water...

The liquid suspension is 113.6 mg/ml, you can mix 7ml of distilled water and 800mg of crushed and dissolved pills and get a 114.23 mg/ml solution that would be for all intents the same dosage as the prepared liquid suspension...

I like the way you think! Where can one get albendazole pills?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom