Worming

Jrbd82

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
Central Texas
I have one neighbor who Has had chickens for about and year and a half and worms her chickens every 6 months. I have another neighbor who has had chickens for many years and never had worked hers.
I chose to listen to the veteran mainly bc of her chickens are fine without the cost and withdrawal period.
But my daughter just said she saw “maggot like worms” in the poop that my frizzle just made on her. She flung it in the yard and I didn’t get to take a look. What do I use? What do I do?

Try to look at your chicken’s vent area while on the roost tonight. Use a flashlight and look for any maggot larvae around them. It could have been maggots on the poop after flies aphad been there, but flystrike is a dangerous thing in hot weather with flies. If you can put something under her on the roost tonight, you could collect some droppings to look for more, if they are worms and not maggots.

Many people worm their chickens a couple of times a year if they live in warm weather. In cold dry climates some worm less often or not at all. In hot humid areas, some have to worm more often. If you have a local vet who can look at some fresh collected droppings in a ziploc bag, they can look for worms and what type, as well as coccidiosis. Worming is one of those topics where you will get many opinions. If worming is something you might want to do, Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very safe and effective, and we can give dosage.

Try to look at your chicken’s vent area while on the roost tonight. Use a flashlight and look for any maggot larvae around them. It could have been maggots on the poop after flies aphad been there, but flystrike is a dangerous thing in hot weather with flies. If you can put something under her on the roost tonight, you could collect some droppings to look for more, if they are worms and not maggots.

Many people worm their chickens a couple of times a year if they live in warm weather. In cold dry climates some worm less often or not at all. In hot humid areas, some have to worm more often. If you have a local vet who can look at some fresh collected droppings in a ziploc bag, they can look for worms and what type, as well as coccidiosis. Worming is one of those topics where you will get many opinions. If worming is something you might want to do, Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very safe and effective, and we can give dosage.
No vet. I am in central TExas so it’s hot. But the vent looked clear and fine. She said it was IN the poop for sure. I check other poop didn’t see anything. What do I do to treat if I have 23 chickens, 16 ducks, and a tourney- all different ages?

Back
Top Bottom