Worming

devans87

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Dallas
I've searched most of the worm topics. I understand most of it, but I am just wondering how many of you worm your chickens "just because" and how many of you only worm them if you know they have worms. thanks for any info.
smile.png

* I've only de-wormed once, but actually, I was treating my dog with ivermectin for mange and just figured I may as well treat all the critters at the same time. The cat seemed to get the most benefit!! He has twice the energy he used to. He's driving me crazy with it.
hmm.png

Hi, I only worm once a year during molt. We don't want to consume eggs or meat while being medicated with any type of medication. Just a personal preference. However, if we do notice one having worms, they are quarintined into injury/baby coop and wormed away from others. If anyone else is in baby coop, they aren't laying anyway so they get a little too.

Its safe to say that if you have had chickens for two years in the same place, they have worms. Though a few worms in a bird is not usually harmful, I dont like the fact that these few worms are passing thousands of eggs each day only to contaminate the area even more..I worm 4 times a year with broad spectrum wormers...

The state people in FL will tell us to work twice a year (once in fall and once in spring). This is for our show poultry--so that might be for those flocks that will be exposed to more fowl than normal??

Along with Pine Grove's advice and info, which has been very helpful in several different (but related) threads, I have also found great worming information in Gail Damerow's 1994 "Chicken Health Handbook." Ms. Damerow has also provided more updated worming information in a 2006 article here:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-6/Gail_Damerow.html

The most interesting part of this for me was understanding that parasites build resistance to drugs within eight or so generations (a fact that has been echoed by my vet with regard to my dog's flea issues). This makes it even more important to rotate medications in a smart way.

Hope that helps!

Jen in TN

Back
Top Bottom