worming

It's best to worm them prior to molt. Worming during molt causes added stress on their system.
AS a NEWBIE... firs time chicken owner.. when would you know they are going into their molt? I have a Parrot so I know to expect 2 molts a yr spring, fall usually. Is it the same with Chickens.?

AS a NEWBIE... firs time chicken owner.. when would you know they are going into their molt? I have a Parrot so I know to expect 2 molts a yr spring, fall usually. Is it the same with Chickens.?
I would try to avoid deworming birds during moult if possible. Moulting is stressful to birds and it is more important to make sure they are getting enough vitamins, minerals, and amino acids since much of their energy stores can be depleted. Spring and Late Fall is when I usually witness moult.

Last edited:
Dawg,

I saw this post while I was searching worming issues. I have never had issues in 3 1/2 years and have never wormed. Noticed long worms last night and bought Wazine today. Should I be concerned that there will be more damage, as they already have worms in their stool?

They all seemed fine (3 - 20 week old pullets and one older hen) not weight loss, appetite, etc. until I noticed the worms, I didn't know I had an issue.

Thanks,

Big D

I'm interested too in the pumpkin seeds as a de-wormer, I am new to this as I started with my first flock this year in May, my hens haven't even started laying yet but I don't want to have to discard eggs if I worm them.

If you decide to try to deworm with pumpkin seeds it would be a very wise idea to do regular fecal checks so you stay on top of any infestations that do occur. Many people have tried things like pumpkin seeds, ACV and DE etc. only to have their birds still get worms. Also, not all worms live in the digestive tract and therefore don't shed eggs that can be picked up in a fecal test.

I'd like to know how much ivermectin cattle type liquid to give Orphingtons that are 6 weeks old by what the guy said that I got them from. They just got most of their feathers in and are getting good size. One has loose stools, and brown color about the shade of the brown shades on this page at the top. I'm getting Amprollium and probiotics tomorrow.

I'd like to know how much ivermectin cattle type liquid to give Orphingtons that are 6 weeks old by what the guy said that I got them from. They just got most of their feathers in and are getting good size. One has loose stools, and brown color about the shade of the brown shades on this page at the top. I'm getting Amprollium and probiotics tomorrow.

I recommend using either valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Ivermectin is ineffective treating poultry worms due to its overuse as a miteacide in poultry resulting in worm resistance.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract
Treat your birds first with amprolium. Then give them buttermilk mixed in the feed for several days prior to worming. Dosage for valbazen is 1/2cc orally undiluted, repeat in 10 days. Safeguard dosage is 1/2cc orally undiluted given 3 days straight. Do not repeat dosing again 10 days later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom