Worms? Cocci? Parasites? Please help.

elissarules

Songster
Dec 20, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi I have a one year old barnevelder hen who has been suffering with lethargy for a few weeks now. At first I thought it was dehydration (it had got really warm), and then I thought worms. I’ve been deworming her for 5 days now and she has only got worse.
C61D39E6-92E3-4EBC-A562-60C96DAD2717.jpeg

Her poop is a dark green with yellow specks. Could she be egg bound? I don’t know anything and I’m desperate.
C376E5F5-98B5-4778-A763-385E9E6A6A6F.jpeg

Getting worse after worming, the problem wasn't likely the type of worms the anthelmintic will treat.
A one year old hen living on the same property, likely won't have coccidiosis. They should have long since developed resistance.
I doubt it could be dehydration this time of year in Pennsylvania unless she went more than 24 hours without water.
At least have a fecal sample read. If the problem is intestinal, it could be bacterial, viral or a type of worm the medication doesn't treat.
Keep in mind that lethargy alone could point to nearly 100 different problems ranging from poisoning to cancer.

Last edited:
Getting worse after worming, the problem wasn't likely the type of worms the anthelmintic will treat.
A one year old hen living on the same property, likely won't have coccidiosis. They should have long since developed resistance.
At least have a fecal sample read. If the problem is intestinal, it could be bacterial, viral or a type of worm the medication doesn't treat.

Normally I think you are right. But I've had a different scenario for years where my chickens had poor resistance from a long term ailment and found cocci at any age.

Normally I think you are right. But I've had a different scenario for years where my chickens had poor resistance from a long term ailment and found cocci at any age.
That's a good point. Lowered resistance due to diminished vigor, nutrition, whatever, can cause a bird to succumb to anything from coccidia to Marek's.

Hi I have a one year old barnevelder hen who has been suffering with lethargy for a few weeks now. At first I thought it was dehydration (it had got really warm), and then I thought worms. I’ve been deworming her for 5 days now and she has only got worse. View attachment 1736984

Her poop is a dark green with yellow specks. Could she be egg bound? I don’t know anything and I’m desperate. View attachment 1736979

For 5 days working no no no
Not good worming is a one day course then repeat after 15 days then 6 months

And yes warm cause this thing u mentioned ND poop u attach what temperature u r in

This yellow Urates means lack of water or dehydration
Give lots of chilled water
And cool environment

Touch her feet if they are hot
Wash them with cold water

Back
Top Bottom