Worms? Heartbroken chicken lover here.

I'm pretty sure they don't do replacements unless they arrive dead. I looked on the website. And the neighbors' birds are fine! All our care and brooding stuff is the same.
I can't get wonder if i did something wrong.
I would call them. I have gotten my birds from them for years and they have always guaranteed them for the first 24 hours. But in this situation, the babies were sick.

Apologies for the venting length of the first part. The other two seem ok so far, tho I'm treating pasty butt.
The four at the neighbor are fine as of yesterday evening.
Which is, of course, why I'm wondering what i did wrong.
I mean I've brooded 40 chicks, but i know these this young are different, and they are keets, so i was careful to get everything exactly right per the hatchery instructions.
I don't understand tho, how the other 4 are fine and 4 of my 6 died in the first 24 hours.
What is the temp of your brooder under the heat source?
What heat source are you using?
Can you take a picture of the exact bag of feed you're using?

It is extremely unlikely that these birds have a parasite of any kind... That came with them from the hatchery.

I would call them. I have gotten my birds from them for years and they have always guaranteed them for the first 24 hours. But in this situation, the babies were sick.
Why do you say 'these were sick'?

95 on top and 105 on the bottom. That was the hatchery instructions. So that's what i did, it seems over heated to me, but i shrugged it off as they are African birds so i figured the heat ... I'm just heartsick.

The neighbor has the same set up btw, i checked.
105 is way too hot.

She said within hours of arriving they were weak and not eating or drinking. Is that normal?
I think there's confusion. Chicks don't always eat and drink by themselves. Chicks often arrive and MUST have their beaks dipped in warm sugar water, and be put under lamps. In fact, they are shipped with this as an instruction. If they didn't get that, they may not eat and drink by themselves and can die. They are not automatically "sick". If they ate and drank on arrival, then they were not likely sick. It takes several days of exposure to a bacteria or virus for them to get sick and they haven't even been alive that long, and in an NPIP flock it would be very unlikely. Unless the shipping was longer than 2-3 days, they have enough of the yolk to sustain them. Chicks not doing well is not usually a "sickness". It's usually from error in how the chicks were acclimated or they didn't get sugar water and set under the correct temp lights. These chicks come from NPIP flocks, so are monitored for everything. The parents of the chicks are kept in very good condition to producee the highest number of strong chicks, or they are culled. Other than shipping stress or unusually cold conditions while being shipped, it's basically considered arrival issues.

I think there's confusion. Chicks don't always eat and drink by themselves. Chicks often arrive and MUST have their beaks dipped in warm sugar water, and be put under lamps. In fact, they are shipped with this as an instruction. If they didn't get that, they may not eat and drink by themselves and can die. They are not automatically "sick". If they ate and drank on arrival, then they were not likely sick. It takes several days of exposure to a bacteria or virus for them to get sick and they haven't even been alive that long, and in an NPIP flock it would be very unlikely. Unless the shipping was longer than 2-3 days, they have enough of the yolk to sustain them. Chicks not doing well is not usually a "sickness". It's usually from error in how the chicks were acclimated or they didn't get sugar water and set under the correct temp lights. These chicks come from NPIP flocks, so are monitored for everything. The parents of the chicks are kept in very good condition to producee the highest number of strong chicks, or they are culled. Other than shipping stress or unusually cold conditions while being shipped, it's basically considered arrival issues.
Sorry i was out of commo a few days.
Yes, they can live on their retained fluids from the egg for a few days, or so I've been told.
These could eat and drink, they simply wouldn't after a few hours.
I showed them how, and they showed their ability. But the more time went by, the less they would go to the water and feed, so i started hand watering, soaked feed, etc
About 2 hrs b4 dying they simply refused any food or water.

I agree that 105 is terribly hot, but that's what the instructions said.

Back
Top Bottom