worms !! Help please !

Apr 14, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,
I just discovered worms in my flock. They appear to be round worms. My dog had them once before.
I have 3 hens that are almost 2, ..they weigh 4 pounds each. One isn’t feeling well at all. I thought it was sour crop...but maybe it’s the worms.
i also have 2, 8 week old Brahma chicks.
I have powdered packets, 4 grams each, of granules, 22.2% mg/g

i also have ivermectin paste, 1.87%

can you please help me? The worms are many and passing through poop.
‘thanks

Hi,
I just discovered worms in my flock. They appear to be round worms. My dog had them once before.
I have 3 hens that are almost 2, ..they weigh 4 pounds each. One isn’t feeling well at all. I thought it was sour crop...but maybe it’s the worms.

‘thanks
You have powdered packets of what?

For roundworms, personally, I would get some Safeguard liquid goat wormer and treat all the birds at 0.23ml per pound of weight - give orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

Ivermectin has lost a lot of it's power in treating worms.

I would still monitor the hen's crop to see if it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks. It would not be uncommon for a crop issue to be a problem in addition to having worms. You would want to treat both. If the crop is sour, then treat as outlined in the article below and also treat her for worms.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hi,

‘thanks
Can you please post a photo of the "many" worms in the poop? Thanks.

For roundworms, personally, I would get some Safeguard liquid goat wormer and treat all the birds at 0.23ml per pound of weight - give orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

I would still monitor the hen's crop to see if it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks. It would not be uncommon for a crop issue to be a problem in addition to having worms. You would want to treat both. If the crop is sour, then treat as outlined in the article below and also treat her for worms.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you.
I have granule / powder fendebdazole. But I am heading out now to buy the liquid form. Sounds easier.
my dog has been eating the chicken poop too ! Ugh.
thank you for the crop link too . I will continue with treatment.

Will albendazole helpful ? I read it's for all type of worms

Thank you.
I have granule / powder fendebdazole. But I am heading out now to buy the liquid form. Sounds easier.
Will albendazole helpful ? I read it's for all type of worms
LOL Dogs like poop. Chicken roundworms are species specific, but it's never a bad idea to have your vet perform a fecal on some dog poo.

Hi Saaniya! Yes, Albendazole can be used to treat roundworms - in the US you need to order it online, so sometimes Fenbendazole is "easier" to recommend since you can generally get it locally at the feed store.

Thank you.
The chicken worms wont effect your dog, and dogs worms wont effect your chickens. Hookworms are an exception, dont go barefooted.

LOL Dogs like poop. Chicken roundworms are species specific, but it's never a bad idea to have your vet perform a fecal on some dog poo.

Hi Saaniya! Yes, Albendazole can be used to treat roundworms - in the US you need to order it online, so sometimes Fenbendazole is "easier" to recommend since you can generally get it locally at the feed store.

Yes in India albendazole is pretty famous in veterinary medicine

Back
Top Bottom