worms !! Help please !

Now you see what worms can do to a chicken.
Now you'll want to get her strength and immune system built back up. Give her buttermilk mixed with plain boiled white rice mixed in her food for a couple of days. Buttermilk is a much better probiotic than yogurt and is easily absorbed in the digestive system. Yogurt tends to pass through them. The boiled rice will help settle her innards after the worming and will build up her strength.
Make sure you reworm again in 10 days.

Now you see what worms can do to a chicken.
Now you'll want to get her strength and immune system built back up. Give her buttermilk mixed with plain boiled white rice mixed in her food for a couple of days. Buttermilk is a much better probiotic than yogurt and is easily absorbed in the digestive system. Yogurt tends to pass through them. The boiled rice will help settle her innards after the worming and will build up her strength.
Make sure you reworm again in 10 days.
Thank you. I made her scrambled eggs this AM and used probiotics in the water. I’ll try some buttermilk tomorrow AM.
thanks again !!!

~ I can’t catch a break...honestly.
The Hens all seem to be doing really well and acting normal, 🙏🏼
Still no eggs for 5 days, but I still have seen a couple plump worms. Not many...just one of two here and there.
BUT ~
this morning,...I noticed very bloody droppings in the chick pen. (2 light Brahmas 9 weeks old ) . One chick always looked crappy since the day I got it...it’s Wing feathers never fully came in. ...they are about 9 weeks old now.
~ this AM, I used corid liquid,9.6 % in everyone’s water, 1 tsp per 1 gallon.
The weak chick, eyes were very droopy, so I gave that one, a direct drop of .1ml of corid.
😢

Correct dose of Corid liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water (or 9.5ml). I will attach the treatment chart below, always use the severe outbreak dosing.
For the oral dose, it's figured by weight, .1ml per pound of body weight, and you can give that in addition to the medicated water for up to three days. Corid is very safe, so a bit too much is better than a bit not enough.
I would give the oral dose to any that are acting off at all, or that you know are having bloody droppings, and the medicated water to all.
Oral dose info is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

Correct dose of Corid liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water (or 9.5ml). I will attach the treatment chart below, always use the severe outbreak dosing.
For the oral dose, it's figured by weight, .1ml per pound of body weight, and you can give that in addition to the medicated water for up to three days. Corid is very safe, so a bit too much is better than a bit not enough.
I would give the oral dose to any that are acting off at all, or that you know are having bloody droppings, and the medicated water to all.
Oral dose info is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
View attachment 2174810
Thank you for that information. it’s great.
I gave the right dose but “wrote” it wrong here. I’ve been a wreck.
Hope she turns around, she seems weak. .. closes her eyes often. Lays down a lot. The second chick seems well so far.
I’d separate them but they are so bonded they scream for each other , and the other chickens are huge compared to them ... I think the less stress the better.
thanks again. 🥰

If she's not drinking well, then give her some of the medicated water several times a day, the meds have to get in them to do any good. Try every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. If you can get her feeling better then she'll start drinking on her own.

Yesterday I saw the chicks eating and drinking.
Mathis morning , The smaller chick seems to be dying. Still has very bloody Poop.
Giving the Corid in water ( to all, chicks and adukts) but also gave this chick a full dose drop in the mouth early morning and again at bedtime yesterday.
I wonder if the wormer caused something and it’s not Corid ?
Other chick seems ok. she was covered in smelly bloody pooo from sleeping against the other chick so I gave her a sponge wiping.
As upsetting to her as it was, I removed her sick little sister to a separate cage inside - where it’s quiet and Warmer.
She’s stressed now but the sick one is just lying here, head down .
As a last resort I gave this sick one a drop of baytril.
I’ll check on her in an hour.
Any suggestions ?😪

There are a two types of cocci that dont respond to corid, but respond to sulfa drugs. I dont recommend using sulfa drugs for chicks. Unfortunately I dont believe the chick will recover in such a weakened state. You're going to have to make the tough decision whether to continue to let her suffer and pump meds into her, or humanely end her suffering. There's already been too much internal damage caused by the coccidiosis. I recommend that you cull the chick. Have comfort knowing you did everything possible to save her.

There are a two types of cocci that dont respond to corid, but respond to sulfa drugs. I dont recommend using sulfa drugs for chicks. Unfortunately I dont believe the chick will recover in such a weakened state. You're going to have to make the tough decision whether to continue to let her suffer and pump meds into her, or humanely end her suffering. There's already been too much internal damage caused by the coccidiosis. I recommend that you cull the chick. Have comfort knowing you did everything possible to save her.
Thank you. As much as it hurts ~ I’ll put her down. No creature should have to suffer needlessly.
I got these chicks 2 1/2 weeks ago. Since they arrived we got round worms , and now this.
Is it coincidence or do you think they were the carriers ? I had them separated but while the hens were out on their supervised foraging - I let the chicks into the secure enclosure to stretch their legs for a few hours every day.
should I remove the 300 pounds of sand in my enclosure and put firm new sand ?
I do scoop any excrement “ I see“ ,every day.

Back
Top Bottom