Worms in chickens

esturtz27

Songster
Jun 24, 2022
Not going to lie to you all I'm loosing my mind a little. I was out with my chickens today and noticed some round worms in poop. I know what to there...gotta treat them. My question is do I treat my dogs too? What about me and my 2 year old? I feel insane but I'm just worried. Do I toss all my eggs? I'm flustered a bit yes.

If your dogs are eating the chicken poop then you should probably treat the dogs too. I wouldn't think you or your 2 year old would need treatment. It's very unlikely for worms to get into the oviduct and infect eggs but if on the rare chance it did, it would be super gross but it shouldn't be a threat to you cause it would probably be dead and so gross you'd never eat that egg.
Depending on the type of wormer you use would depend on if you have an egg withdrawal period. There is no egg withdrawal with safeguard, dosing is typically 0.23ml per lb of body weight given orally 5 days in a row for chickens. I don't know about worming dogs.

If your dogs are eating the chicken poop then you should probably treat the dogs too. I wouldn't think you or your 2 year old would need treatment. It's very unlikely for worms to get into the oviduct and infect eggs but if on the rare chance it did, it would be super gross but it shouldn't be a threat to you cause it would probably be dead and so gross you'd never eat that egg.
Depending on the type of wormer you use would depend on if you have an egg withdrawal period. There is no egg withdrawal with safeguard, dosing is typically 0.23ml per lb of body weight given orally 5 days in a row for chickens. I don't know about worming dogs.
Thank you so much for your help. Now I just need to find some safeguard.

amazon usually has it, also I've seen it at tractor supply
It must be worm season here because tractor supply only had ivermectin drench but Amazon had 2 day delivery which was free 🤷🏻‍♀️ so Saturday the girls begin their deworming protocol. Oddly my neighbor just had to do her chickens but they had a different worm.... she's also about a mile away lol so definitely did not come from her girls

My question is do I treat my dogs too? What about me and my 2 year old? I feel insane but I'm just worried. Do I toss all my eggs? I'm flustered a bit yes.
You don't need to worry about your dogs or children because chicken worms are host-specific, meaning that only birds get them.

If you want to de-worm them and eat the eggs during treatment, do this:

Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal

You don't need to worry about your dogs or children because chicken worms are host-specific, meaning that only birds get them.

If you want to de-worm them and eat the eggs during treatment, do this:

Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal

This is the exact post I found while searching for what to do with the safeguard. Thank you! It's wonderful! 100lbs is the exact pound estimate for my chickens too haha! Now I just have to convince my older chickens to let my younger chickens have some

Back
Top Bottom