Worms In Coop Shavings!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lilywater101, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi, everyone I was cleaning out the coop this morning when I noticed that as I was shoveling the shavings; there were pink little worms squirming around in the shavings!! Now I'm wondering if my chickens possibly need to be dewormed or could it be that the worms got in there some other way. The reason I say this is because the coop was SOPPING WET inside. Although it has a roof we have not been able to cover some cracks on the sides of the coop where water is able to get in when it rains.

Could the worms have come in with the rain and muddy circumstances, since it has recently been raining VERY HARD? My chickens have been acting normal. They eat normally, and lay eggs, they also look healthy...i have seen no worms in their actual "fresh" poop only in the shavings....

Could my chickens still be infected??
    [​IMG]

2. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I might be wrong but i think the more common chicken worm type are white. Maybe you just have normal worms due to the moist environment and your chickens have not discovered them yet.[​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My first thought is they're red wigglers that have moved into your damp, nutrient rich coop floor. Search red wigglers and see if that's what they are, if so, they're great for your chickens to eat or to add to your composts or flower/veggie beds.

4. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    The worms are probably regular garden worms which moved in because of the wet ground. Is the coop on the ground/dirt or is it elevated?
    Joe

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I agree with the above. Red or pink worms, even small ones, are almost always earthworms (small ones are just young ones). Those infecting animals rarely will be able to live outside the animal and are nearly always white. I'd put my money on you having a healthier environment than you realize, as earthworms in there is a really good thing, not a bad one.

6. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I can't believe you had any type of wiggler in your coop and your chickies didn't find them. You may want to revisit their diet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by