Worms in Eggs ..?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flymamma, Nov 28, 2009.

1. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/35/roundworms-in-eggs

I am confused about the picture in this link .. I have had a few eggs with the white "bulls eye" that this picture illustrates , but I am not sure if the "bulls eye " is the worm or the long white thing to the right . My chickens are 7 months old , I have never wormed them .. BUT I have never seen a worm in their poop . I scrape the fresh poops under the roost every morning . I have found references to the Bulls eye being a sign of a fertile egg , But I have no roosters . Wouldn't I see worms in the poo first ? Before they apeared in the egg ?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I doubt you have worm problems but if you take a picture, we can check!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The "stem" to the right of the yolk is the roundworm. Same worm all animals are prone to getting without proper care.

4. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Thank you . That is what I thought .. But thought I would clarify . So what is the "bull eye" On the yolk .. if I have no roosters to make fertile eggs ?

5. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Infertile eggs can have a small roundish white spot. When it is as pronounced as the one in this picture and a "true" bullseye with a white ring around a spot, that indicates fertility. Most of mine have the white spot, but not a bullseye. I also have no roosters. And as stated above, the worm is the thin white string/stem in the picture.

6. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Bullseye

[​IMG]

7. vtara16

vtara16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    typically a bulls eye means that the egg is fertile. Please correct me if I am wrong.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Roundworms are intestinal parasites. I have never heard of one getiing into an egg. I don't know how that would be possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by