Worms & Lice -help

Hello!

I bought five chickens from a lady this summer without realizing they all had lice pretty bad. I've been treating them since August for lice and I can't get rid of the darn things. I'm pretty sure they are lice and not mites, although they may have those as well - who knows. I've used Permethrin to spray onto their bottoms and it worked on the young girls, but the oldest bird has it sooo bad and it won't go away. I know Elector PSP is an option, but I am just wondering in your experience how do I get rid of them for good?

I was planning on doing a natural dewormer for the birds with our pumpkin seeds, etc. However, today the broody came out and did her massive broody poop and it was filled with worms :thI know I've used Wazine in the past. I'm afraid if I do the natural method it won't get rid of all the worms. Please let me know what you use that works best.

These poor birds have been put through the ringer from this lady who sold them to me :rant I told her about everything, and her response was that all birds have lice and it's normal. :mad:

Thank you for any help in advance!
If you have any Wazine left, use it. Wazine isn't available anymore. There may still some places that have some left but they won't be able to get it anymore, it's been discontinued.

Thank you everyone! I have made a natural de-wormer until I can get my hands on one of the others. I'm going to ask around and see if anyone else has some Elector PSP I can buy for cheap from them. I've tried the dust too, but the birds are still covered in lice, so I think I'm just gonna go straight to the elector psp.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully something will work.
Elector PSP is great but very expensive that is why I use permethrin. It works and costs way less. It eliminates most pests including lice as well as mites. I had mites and a lot of flies. I used permethrin concentrate, mixed it with water in a sprayer and sprayed in the coops thoroughly. With the mites as well as other pests, it does not kill the eggs so repeat spraying is necessary. My surprise was it also eliminated the flies. It is used on cattle for flies and it works. I have way less flies now. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. Some of the cow ear tags also have permethrin in them to control flies.

Also some say once is enough for the Elector PSP but according to their website repeat spraying may be necessary.

I also put the permethrin dust in the nest boxes. I have sprayed in them but usually the birds want to go into them before the spray has a chance to dry well so I started putting the dust in them. Have not had any pest in quite a long time. My birds looked terrible but now they are beautiful again. Sorry for all of the posts but I have been there too and my birds were infested.

Ivermectin. Works for both internal and most external parasites. Get water soluble pr saline and put in water every 90 days. Cheapest feed you'll ever buy.

Back
Top Bottom