Worms? Need some direction with new chicks

mdquilts

Songster
Mar 26, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi, just got home with our new chicks and someone pooped this lovely thing out. Assuming it’s some kind of worm but I have never had to treat for that before. I can’t find anything about how to treat chicks that are just a few days old and want to be sure to get this right
They are in quarantine away from our flock. Thank you!

Attachments

• 70E1D7E5-AA1C-4EEA-93B7-194B866FCCF2.jpeg
    70E1D7E5-AA1C-4EEA-93B7-194B866FCCF2.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DCC5F4AD-5A9F-40F4-9172-C3BF80C9D63B.jpeg
    DCC5F4AD-5A9F-40F4-9172-C3BF80C9D63B.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 8
It's not worms, it's shed intestinal lining. I highly recommend that you get your chicks started on Corid 9.6% liquid solution. Dosage is 9.5ml per gallon of water for 5-7 days. You can make the one gallon solution, then pour it into the smaller waterer(s). Make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture. Ensure all waterers and feeders are feces free.
It'll be in the cattle section at your feed store.
639-amprolium_1.jpg

It's not worms, it's shed intestinal lining. I highly recommend that you get your chicks started on Corid 9.6% liquid solution. Dosage is 9.5ml per gallon of water for 5-7 days. You can make the one gallon solution, then pour it into the smaller waterer(s). Make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture. Ensure all waterers and feeders are feces free.
It'll be in the cattle section at your feed store.
View attachment 2621630
Hi! Can you tell me what Corid does for the chicks? Thanks.

Hi! Can you tell me what Corid does for the chicks? Thanks.
Corid aka Amprolium is an inhibitor of thiamine (vitamin B1). Rapidly dividing coccidia have a high requirement for thiamine and corid prevents it from happening.
However, corid wont treat coccidia that causes blood in feces caused by two types of Eimeria coccidia. A sulfa drug will then be needed.

Back
Top Bottom