Worms!!??

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
I guess this was gonna happen sooner or later, but I was outside with my girls and they are roaming the yard doing chicken things, scatching, terrorizing my hostas, digging in my compost pile (I call the candy store) and Ruby came by looking for her usual fruit treat while I was reading and she pooped, I look down and her poop (which always looks normal) and I thought it was boiling :| it looked like it was bubbly and hot, so closer inspection, little worms wriggling in it!

Now what do I do? I hopefully caught this soon enough. Is this something I can treat with medication? They both act fine, there usual selves, maybe I caught this in time.

I know for a fact that they have eaten earthworms, as I have seen them. Not too many, but I'm sure in the compost pile they've dug some up.

Anyone's advice, before it gets bad?

Thanking you all in advance.

that compost pile is the cause of their worms (many of the insects >HELMINTHS and are the source of the worms in your birds)...
you will need meds to treat... you can get a faecal float but also you can order valbazen (FirstStateVet Supply >featherfanciers.com) >it is a braod spectrum wormer...I alternate this with ivomec Eprinex every four months or so...
here is an article on HELMITHS:
http://compepid.tuskegee.edu/syllabi/pathobiology/pathology/avianmed/chapter8.html

Thank you for your reply dlhunicorn. Alot of that site's info was kinda Greek to me tho. I trust you on this and will order the meds.

No more compost pile. They do free range a bit when I'm home. As long as I'm giving this kind of meds, are they still allowed to roam the yard?

Is this medication easily administered?

This is my first mishap :eek:

and I'm nervous! Again - Thank you:)

Thanks Bayouchica - I guess I should give this to both birds, as they do everyting together, including picking up parasites, it's not harmful as a preventative?

I suppose I'll find out from the medication site.

Aaargg - new to this, thanks for making me feel a little bit in control here you guys... I appreciate it!

Quote:
The compost pile is not the cause. These parasites are carried from bird to bird or through intermediate hosts like earthworms, crickets, grasshoppers, cockroaches. They can find these bugs in any part of the yard including the compost pile. Just because they find more bugs in the compost pile doesn't mean it is the cause...

I ordered Valbazen, I should have it in a couple of days. They didn't have the Ivomec eprinex, how do I get that? and do I need it with the other stuff, since it's a broad spectrum wormer? Eeekkk. Obviously I need some guidance.

Also, I put some DE in their feed. I usually just put the DE in their run and bedding weekly. Their poop is scooped out daily from their bedding. Am I on the right track?

I think their eating bugaboos was the problem, but I'm totally new at this.

dhlunicorn, I appreciate your advice, (mac - you too!) Can they wait a few days until meds arrive? ( I guess they have to) Do I sound like a new mommy?

Tonight when I went to check on them, I only found one in her roost. This never happened before, I found Ruby, the wormholder, in the greenhouse nesting. I brought her to her coop and all seemed fine. I just thought the behaviour might be showing me all is not right.

I welcome any advice - thank you

yes, since the worm load was so obvious and I know Peter (FirstState Vet supply)will get it out fairly quickly...my understanding on the Ivomec Eprinex is that it is hard to find in smaller quantities so this will give you time to perhaps look for someone in your area to "share".... you use the one or the other...not both at the same time...
....intermediate hosts like earthworms, crickets, grasshoppers, cockroaches....

...yes...intermediate hosts like earthworms and such are referred to in the literature as HELMINTHS (you need google that word with POULTRY and you will find gobs of articles)...yes your bird when free ranging will find lots of insects and some will be helminths however compost will have much higher concentrations... not all insects are helminths... and the compost heap often also has darkling beetles...a particularly nasty one...​

Quote:
Helminths are parasitic worms, not the host insects... Their eggs are transmitted from bird to bird or through host insects.

The insects at the compost pile aren't any more likely to be infected than other insects the birds will come across.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom