Worms

Enilcita28

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
Hi all.
I suspect some of my chickens have worms. I know they eat and drink but the weight is not there. They seem underweight and even had some deaths this past month (2 that were about 20 weeks old). Right now I have one that doesn't look good. They die suddenly, I suspect they are not getting the nutrition they need because of worms. What wormer should I use? Please help (pic for attention).

Attachments

• 20210915_103421.jpg
    20210915_103421.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 9
Worms, coccidiosis, or enteritis are all problems that can affect the intestinal health and absorption of nutrients. Is there any way that you can collect some droppings and take them in for a gram stain and fecal float to look for parasites? The most common safe and effective wormers for chickens are Valbazen sheep and cattle wormer, that is also used in humans as albendazole. Then there is fenbendazole or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste. Those treat most all common worms in chickens, and dosage can be given. Levamisole (Prohibit) is one that is used in some countries. If the vet should find the more rare tapeworm, then a praziquantel product should be used.

Worms, coccidiosis, or enteritis are all problems that can affect the intestinal health and absorption of nutrients. Is there any way that you can collect some droppings and take them in for a gram stain and fecal float to look for parasites? The most common safe and effective wormers for chickens are Valbazen sheep and cattle wormer, that is also used in humans as albendazole. Then there is fenbendazole or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste. Those treat most all common worms in chickens, and dosage can be given. Levamisole (Prohibit) is one that is used in some countries. If the vet should find the more rare tapeworm, then a praziquantel product should be used.
Ok thank you very much!

What would be the dosage of Safeguard to use per gallon of water?

Have you tried this product? It's in pellet form.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-22-09-35-13.png
    Screenshot_2021-10-22-09-35-13.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste does nit mix in water (they will settle out) and they must be given orally. That way the dosage is more accurate. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight, or 1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken. Repeat in 10 days.

The SafeGuard pellets should not be used, because they have to be mixed into feed, and I cannot calculate a dosage. It would be inaccurate since not every chicken would eat the right amount.

Another loss today. I was brave enough to open the bird and see what's killing them and after searching what I saw it seems like we are dealing with blackhead disease. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom